What's the best rifle . . none

/ What's the best rifle . . none #1  

AMR

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030
There was a thread about removing groundhogs with a rifle a while back and lots of discussion about safety. I had a groundhog problem and decided that I would try the trapping route. I had a family of groundhogs, 1 adult and 5 juveniles, it took 7 days of trapping but they are now all safely relocated, along with a gigantic skunk. The bait of choice was a lettuce leaf and peanut butter. Nice and quite, total time into this adventure was about 2 hours, mostly because I had to relocate them (against my instincts but mama and the kids won that fight)

/ What's the best rifle . . none #2  
HooAh! That sounds wonderful. What type of trap did you use? Let me know so I may construct one and save some lil animals life as well.

Don't know about mr. Stinky! LOL

/ What's the best rifle . . none #3  
Guess that is a good way to remove your problem! Just wondering where you relocated them to?

I encountered a person relocating a woodchuck on my property one time and had a heck of an argument with the woman about not providing me with a new resident! Ended up she, her husband and the chuck departed!

/ What's the best rifle . . none #4  
It allways nice to hear that we don't have to kill everything that's giving us a problem. I like your idea, I've also got a little problem, taking bird feeders down. Wonder what size a trap I'd need for my quest? Not really sure if I want it gone though. Maybe I could just trap it, get a couple of beers and some honey and have a man to animal discussion about the yard rules. How do you think a bear would deal with the situation?
A couple of years back 1{bear around 300-350lbs+} came up to me while I was building our house. He sat down about 50-60' away from me and we had a small conversation. He then figured he'd do what he wanted to. Of course I think I hurt his feelings when I yelled at him for trying to go where I didn't think he should. Well it seems they like our ponds and think the bird feeders are for bears. Silly bear tricks are for kids and "bird food" is for..............BIRDS!

/ What's the best rifle . . none #5  
It allways nice to hear that we don't have to kill everything that's giving us a problem. I like your idea, I've also got a little problem, taking bird feeders down. Wonder what size a trap I'd need for my quest? Not really sure if I want it gone though. Maybe I could just trap it, get a couple of beers and some honey and have a man to animal discussion about the yard rules. How do you think a bear would deal with the situation?
A couple of years back 1{bear around 300-350lbs+} came up to me while I was building our house. He sat down about 50-60' away from me and we had a small conversation. He then figured he'd do what he wanted to. Of course I think I hurt his feelings when I yelled at him for trying to go where I didn't think he should. Well it seems they like our ponds and think the bird feeders are for bears. Silly bear tricks are for kids and "bird food" is for..............BIRDS!

They taste like pork and make wonderful throw rugs..

Wedge

/ What's the best rifle . . none
Yes, it worked great. I just used a large have-a-heart trap.

They were relocated to a wildlife refuge not too far away, not necessarily my choice, I tend to agree that it is kind of like relocating a problem to someone else.

I have had the same man to animal discussion with several raccoons, it turns out they were not receptive and you know the result.

/ What's the best rifle . . none #7  
AMR; raccoons remind me of teenage kids. they think they know everything, won't listen to anything, and get into everything{trouble}. My sister had 1 as a pet years ago it was very smart and allways trying to get everyone to play, lot of fun.

/ What's the best rifle . . none #8  
So how did you deal with the skunk? I'm trying to imagine how you safely relocaated that guy without harming him.

/ What's the best rifle . . none #9  
Good deal...but tell us how you dealt with the skunk.

/ What's the best rifle . . none
The skunk had me nervous but it was nothing. I walked up to him slowly holding an old bed sheet out, it was folded up a couple times, I got near the trap and gently draped it over the entire trap, he never got that nervous. I picked up the trap with handle and put it into a wheelbarrow. He sprayed while I was wheeling him down the street. No bid deal, the sheet took it. When I got to the designated release area I put the trap down, fumbled the blanket back till just the door was exposed and then lifted it up. He walked out after a minute, looked back at me and my 4 year old, and then took off. Easy as pie!