Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators?

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Considering a 12Kw Centurian (Generac) NG standby generator. Looking just to power water pump, furnace fan, frig, freezer and a few lights. My wife wants something fully automatic for when I'm gone. I've tried to read most of the threads here, but haven't seen much info from actual user experience. Any information appreicated.

Thanks

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #2  
We have a Centurion 4791, 3400w that runs on LP. Only one major use, last fall when we were down for 7 full days. Love it so far. During that time I ran it 2-3 hours, then off the same amount of time, feeding freezer, refrigerator, and whatever else we chose to use when it was on (coffemaker, microwave, PC, TV)...it averaged 18 hours of actual run time per 20# tank, so a 20# tank was getting me through 36 hours.

My cousin has a Generac 7000w enclosed NG/LP unit he used for backup for his small warehouse for several years, and it was flawless. He is obsessive about filter and oil changes (and only uses Mobil 1), and I have done the same with ours. In fact, he has his for sale now as he has moved out of that warehouse....the enclosed NG/LP genset and an 8 breaker automatice transfer switch for $1400, northern Hamilton County (SW OH) area.

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #3  
I wanted one too for hurricanes. My husband looked into it, it was some Generac but don't know which one. He said it had a max of 7 circuits I believe so wouldn't run a lot in our house, but our biggest issue was the amount of propane they consume. Do some research on that and we felt it was prohibitive so didn't put one in. If you are in town and can get city gas its a lot cheaper from what I understand.

He rigged up for us a 7.5kw with 13500 surge, it will run everything in the house except my frontload dryer and AC, even the well pump and the tenants fridge and some lights for him.

But I have to start it, it has pushbutton start, fill it with gas about every 8 hours and check the oil. He fixed up a connection where I just turn off the main house breaker, plug this in a panel in the well house and turn it on. Extra work I know but less expensive. However, I go through a lot of gas also. Last time prices were up and it was over $40 a day to run it.

That's all the info I have.

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #4  
I think the convenience would be awesome, I would love that part. But hubby is convinced we couldn't afford the propane.

When I run ours its continuous, its on at least 14 hours or more a day, I do turn it off at bedtime and back on early AM.

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #5  
I have the 16kw unit used it for 27 days after hurricane Katrina, 3 days after Rita, 2 days after the hurricane last year and several smaller outages.

It uses about 1.6 gal per hour at load or no load. We run everything Central a/c water heater, all lights 4 fridges and a freezer.

I would caution you on a 12kw for your proposed load it would seem to large a 7kw should be all you need use the load calculator on their website. on a propane/nat. gas do not go larger than you need. They will use almost the same amount of fuel loaded or unloaded.

You can get the smaller generator with a load shedding switch. It will switch off refrigerator or other high draw load when furnace fan kicks on to reduce total load.

Would I buy another generac probably not but would opt for the Kohler or other brand with a better transfer switch.

Jeff

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #6  
My husband said we have to many circuits also to use one, he said they will only run something like 7 or 8, is that correct?

So that would be 1036.8 gallons for 27 days, 24 hours a day and at say $2 a gallon would cost $2073.60. Ouch

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #7  
About the 7 or 8 circuits, you just buy one with a whole house transfer switch. But you already said some lights, frig, furnace fan, well pump that is only 6 spaces or circuits.

Our insurance company paid us for the fuel after Katrina. We were able to show it was used to prevent further insured loss. We were able to use our a\c to dehumidify and dry carpets and belongings, nail a set of tarps on roof and avoid food loss. We also were able to stay in our house and avoid the cost of housing. The adjuster said it was a true savings for them. If we had left the house and not mitigated damages their loss would have been much higher. They also paid me to do the repairs.

They question is what is your comfort worth if you only use it for 2 or 3 days at a time you would be looking at $160, is that better than a hotel and associated discomfort.

We would have gladly spent the money to stay at our house after the storm. If you look around south Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, you would find that many people will be doing the same in theb future!!

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #8  
We didn't have any damage other then trees, nothing on the house. I had the windows boarded up before the storm, probably saved some. We have wide windows in some of the house and long and wide in the living room.

We have lots of breakers so more then 7 or 8 circuits, didn't realize it would automatically go to different ones.

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #9  
I have Generac 16 kw running on propane. 1.6 gallons hr 75 bucks a day to operate. not cheap.. but the auto switch gear only operates 16 circuits. so how do you pick those. I had too many to try and run so i back feed it into bottom of incoming power disconnect from power company and set a double set of disconnects between electrical panels and main disconnect, so when power fails i go out and shut off incoming power disconnect {by the way generator is running due to having it wired in so the battery charger and weekly run cycle can operate.} then i flip two other disconnects and boom both electrical panels are fully operational i can run 3 a/c refers and well septic etc, by the way i am the a/c man so i designed the units that the generator could start and run. works better than i thought it would and don't worry about losing food or other items when power fails.,

location 20 miles from galveston texas....

/ Anyone have experience w/ Centurian NG standby generators? #10  
I read that to my husband and he knew what you were talking about, he said its similar to what he did.

Hubby said get a PTO generator and run it from the tractor and use that, no motor on the generator just a generator with a transfer switch.