How much land do you need to shoot?

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #1  

twarr1

Bronze Member
Just curious what others think. One side of our property borders several 2-3 acre "country homesites". Some off these owners use their property for target practice. I think 2 acres of mostly level land is way too little for a shooting range unless it is highly developed (high backstops, etc). Am I the odd one out here? These people think since they are "in the country" it's OK to hunt dove, hunt deer, target shoot, burn old tires, etc on their 2 acres parcel. I have none of these issues with my neighbors on the other 3 sides (cattle ranch, horse ranch and wheat fields). I have no issues with property rights, but the use needs to match the property. What do you think?
Thanks.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #2  
Its more to do with distances, not acreage. What does the state and county laws say about distance for shooting away from a homesite?

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #3  
We need more laws in Texas when it comes to hunting, especially when it comes to how close to the fence line you can set up a deer stand.

I have the same problem. What once used to be a 400 acre ranch on one side of me is now 20-30 acre tracts that people hunt and bring their friends to hunt. So one one side of me where there were only 2-3 hunters I now have 14-16 hunters to dodge bullets.

2-3 acres is not near enough room to hunt safely In my opinion.

Deer season usually ends the nice walks in the woods for me.:mad:

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #4  
In Alabama you have to be 50 yards off the road before hunting. That obviously is not far enough. Like you mentioned a back stop is required for any kind of shooting range I've every seen from Boy Scout to one in the National Forest. I would really be concerned if I didn't know the direction they are shooting in or if I knew it was toward me. I have had a ricochet fly over my head while standing in my yard. I later found out it came from over and eighth mile away and it was coon hunters shooting in a tree. Without a backstop you would need over a mile and that might not be enough.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #5  
It's a min of 10ac in Texas to deer hunt on for sure, dove.... well they better be sure which direction their shootin. Dove shot will go several hundred yards, it may not do any damage to any structures but it sure does sting.

Don; they obviously don't know how to keep their neighbors happy. You need to put up a deer blind on your side of the fence to let them know if they want to hunt the fence line so can you (even if you don't) make sure you get a good line of site of their feeder if they have one.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #7  
I know in SC it's 500 feet from a dwelling (other than your own). My 7 acres might just barely qualify- but I wouldn't.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #8  
Laws against stupidity usually don't get the desired affect !!! MikeD74T

It depends mostly upon your neighbors. The neighbors on both sides of me shoot a lot and don't mind when I shoot. When we bought this place it came with a state certified rifle/pistol range. The previous owner was a CCW instructor. The state certified range is nice but the neighbors who are understanding about shooting are priceless. Sometimes we have outside company when the neighbors are shooting. They ask how we put up with the noise. I tell them "It is country here". "We all do what we want to do out here". For me to be able to say this is one of the reasons I moved to the country.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #9  
whistlepig, I was refering to "stupid" as the irresponsible shooters that do not take responsibility for their tragectory. I enjoy country as well and recognize many recent inhabitants are offended by every country noise, smell, & sight. Would just as soon they move back to town where it's more civilized :D. MikeD74T

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #10  
whistlepig, I was refering to "stupid" as the irresponsible shooters that do not take responsibility for their tragectory. I enjoy country as well and recognize many recent inhabitants are offended by every country noise, smell, & sight. Would just as soon they move back to town where it's more civilized :D. MikeD74T

If I have offended you that was not my intent. If so I apoligize. Most that shoot here with me are irresponsible shooters. Most can't even hit the eight foot high embankment here. Seems not to matter to them. It's something they have read about. Something that makes noise. Something trendy. If they can fire the frigging thing they think they are experts. The plug and play generation it is. I doubt that these people could ever be taught downrange tragectory. Not to shoot where one can't see. I am from the old school and it seems you are too. A gun is an awesome responsibility.