Need help identifying / finding a certain tool

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Years ago my older neighbor had a hand tool used to cut small bushes at ground level and was especially usefull along fencerows where you could not swing a machette or axw. It had a straight wooden handle like a shovel and a sharply hooked blade at the end of a steel shank. You could put the blade around a small bush at ground level and pull toward yourself sharply and at an angle and it would cut the bush. Does anyone know what these tools are called and where I can find one. thanks

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #2  
Sounds like a brush hook to me. I used one clearing fence rows for an old farmer when I was a kid. I just looked up brush hooks and what is sold now doesn't have quite as much "hook" as the tool he gave me to use, but he might have modified it himself. That thing really would "hook" a trunk up to about 1.5 inches and you didn't need to swing it like the new models seem to be designed for.

Chuck

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #3  
Years ago my older neighbor had a hand tool used to cut small bushes at ground level and was especially usefull along fencerows where you could not swing a machette or axw. It had a straight wooden handle like a shovel and a sharply hooked blade at the end of a steel shank. You could put the blade around a small bush at ground level and pull toward yourself sharply and at an angle and it would cut the bush. Does anyone know what these tools are called and where I can find one. thanks

Is this what you are talking about? We used this when I was a kid to cut corn stalks off to feed the cows.

:Ames Bean or Weed Hook, Weed Or Bean Hook, Model 1807600 (usahardware.com)

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    231.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
   / Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #4  
Sounds like a brush hook to me. I used one clearing fence rows for an old farmer when I was a kid. I just looked up brush hooks and what is sold now doesn't have quite as much "hook" as the tool he gave me to use, but he might have modified it himself. That thing really would "hook" a trunk up to about 1.5 inches and you didn't need to swing it like the new models seem to be designed for.

Chuck

Is this it?

AMES 2315800 LIGHT DUTY BRUSH HOOK 30" HANDLE

I still have a couple of these and they work great while giving me a workout.

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #6  
What I used looked more like a modified brush hook than the bean/weed hook. It had the heavier blade of the brush hook, but the hook was deeper. You could hook a 1" diameter sapling and jerk the blade, cutting the sapling off near the base. At least I could about 40 years ago! And even then I ended up with some neat blisters on my hands from working that tool.

Chuck

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #7  
Could you be thinking about a sling blade? I just used one at my son's property to clear brush and it has a heavy blade (top part curved with bottom half flat like an axe) I sharpened it so much I got cut taking it out of the case I made for it.
Otherwise maybe a sugar cane knife.

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #8  
I don't think you are talking about a scythe, but I sure used one a lot when I was a kid for cutting briars and brush along fencelines.

Attachments

• 200px-Scythe_user[1].png
    200px-Scythe_user[1].png
    31.2 KB · Views: 101
   / Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #9  
I was thinking bush axe, but don't have a picture of one handy.The older ones were closer to an axe than the new ones, which remind me of a machette with a hook.
David from jax

/ Need help identifying / finding a certain tool #10  
I have a brush axe, but the sawblade on my weed eater works better to me. JC