How to convince someone to sell vacant land

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
My 6 acres of land borders on about half of a vacant 12 acre parcel, kind of like shown in the attachment (except my land is actually not that square).

Since it’s at the end of my back yard about 300 feet back from the house, I’ve had my eye on it ever since we moved here about 5 years ago and want to buy it as soon as I can. The guy who owns it lives across the road from it and they’ve owned it for about 10 years. They never use it, actually we use more than they do, just going for walks (with permission). I’ve known the owner for over a year now. I recently got into the financial situation where I think I can afford to buy it, so I approached him yesterday and asked him what his long term plans for it were. He said he has no plans to do anything with it, unless maybe in 20 years or so one of his kids would build on it. He’s holding on to it for the same reason I want it, as protection from overpopulation in the immediate area of his house. I told him I was very interesting in buying it, but he said it would take a drastic change in his plans to ever sell it. I really would like to buy at least the back half that borders on my land. Any ideas on how to convince him to sell it? I can’t afford to make him an offer he can’t refuse, I can probably only afford fair market value, but I’m not sure because I don’t really know what it’s worth. I have no idea what he paid for it and don’t know how to find out without being rude and asking him, and he might not tell me anyway. The last thing I want to do is pester the guy. How often can I re-ask him about selling without being rude?

Attachments

• 8-167393-12acres.jpg
    8-167393-12acres.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 178
   / How to convince someone to sell vacant land #2  
I don't know about how to get the man to sell you his land, but you should be able to find out what it's worth. That's public information. You should be able to go to your County Assessor's office and tell them the location of the parcel, and they should be able to tell you the fair market value. In our county here in Wisconsin, a person can even go on line to find the information if they have the parcel number or a general location. I'd think it would be similar in most other states.

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #3  
If you can get him to entertain the thought of subdividing, you may tell him you would be willing to pay for re-platte of the boundaries and so on to help entice him to sell some of it. May try to use the less property tax to pay if he sold all or part. Other than that, trying to get someone to sell when they don't want to is probably pretty hard, unless you made him a monetary offer he couldn't refuse. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #4  
It's tough. IF his big concern really is having a buffer you could offer to buy it and add a restrictive covenant prohibiting development there. Then he'd know it would stay as it is.

My guess is it's going to be tough to get that deal done, though. The toughest buys are from people who don't need the money. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #5  
For some reason, every time I move into a property, the neighbors want to sell within 3 months /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

But seriously, folks:

If he doesn't want to sell all you can do is let him know that if he ever changes his mind, you would like first crack at it. Then be a very good neighbor. Chances are, he'll remember you when he decides to sell.

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #6  
Just my $.02, but why do you need to buy it? It sounds like both of you want the land for the same thing - to ensure that it isn't built upon. If this is the case, and he is letting you access the land have him pay the taxes and be responsible for the property. Make sure that he understands that you would like to buy if he ever does decide to sell, but otherwise keep quiet and invest your money so that if he does decide to sell in the future, and it may be a long time from now, you will be able to pay cash and close quickly.

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #7  
Some wise advice that i got a long time ago and it has proved true time and again. You don't want to buy something that someone doesn't want to sell. Without making one of those "can't refuse" offers you probably won't get the property. Just let him know if he ever wants to sell it you are interested. You never know what the future will bring.

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #8  
<font color=blue>... he is letting you access the land have him pay the taxes and be responsible for the property...</font color=blue>

My thoughts exactly...

Right now it seems like a win-win situation for both... he pays the bills... you use the property... but like Andy says, just let the neighbor know you are sincere in wanting to purchase this plat if he ever changes his mind...

If you really want... upon the next opportunity when you're talking outside with this neighbor... ask him again... but this time to buy "1/2 of his property" behind yours...( this way the other half is reserved for his kids just in case...) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #9  
Danny, I just had another thought on this. Is there any chance you could purchase some kind of an option or right of first refusal to buy it at whatever offer he may get if and when he does want to sell. If you get something like that and record it, you'll be assured of at least having first chance at it. In the meantime, put your money somewhere else.

/ How to convince someone to sell vacant land #10  
Danny,

Gary's idea isn't bad, but if you try to get that option for first right of refusal, make sure it's in writing. I was going to do the same thing with the lot adjacent to my lot. When I talked with the builder, who was the owner, he said that I could have first right of refusal, especially since I'd already done business with him. He also said that I didn't need it in writing. Yeah, right!/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

I came home one day for luch, and here was a BIG hole in the ground that looked mysteriously like a basement excavation. I called the builder and asked what was going on. I reminded him that he had given me first right of refusal. He responded by saying that he had tried calling but didn't get an answer, so he sold it. When I mentioned that we didn't have any messages on our answering machine, he said that he never left messages cause he didn't like "those machines"!

The ONLY good that came out of that was the people who built the house on the lot. No, they didn't become our best friends. They stick to themselves and don't bother anybody and don't want to be bothered. It would be nice to have a buddy 30 steps away to chit chat with, but he's just not the type.

Anyway, get it in writing if you can!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif