What's reasonable Propane usage?

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
Hi, I just started using TBN, great site, great people and I have learned alot.

I would like to get your ideas about how much propane is a reasonable amount to cook (range top only, elec. oven) and provide domestic hot water for two people.

We use 315 gal. of propane per year. I am guessing the cooking accounts for no more than 50 gal. of that - but it is just a guess. One gallon of propane equals 4.24 Lbs., so a 20 Lb grill tank would be 4.72 gal.

50 gal. of propane would be like using ten or eleven 20 Lb tanks - approximately - for cooking. We hardly ever go out to eat, the stove gets used a good bit.

What do you think? Is my DHW propane usage (265 Gal./yr) high?

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #2  
Dave, it seems to me that there are too many possible variables for anyone to give you a reliable answer. Things such as the size of the water heater, how well it's insulated, where it's located, how far it is from the water heater to the shower or tub, whether you're using a dishwasher, how much laundry is done, whether the laundry uses hot, warm, or cold water.

For nothing more than a purely wild guess, I'd say it sounds a little high, although I would also have guessed that you are estimating your cooking usage too low.

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #3  
Does the water heater still have the yellow energy sticker on the side? Can you look up the energy usage for the water heater and stove on the companies website?

We don't have gas but we did eat at Taco Bell Saturday night.

Everything is on electric. Our water heat is supposed to cost about $30 a month to run. Its 80 gallons and well insulated. Our average power bill including AC is about $120. That does not include heat since we use the wood stove in the winter. So $30ish a month of hot water and $90ish for lights, well pump, TVs, computers, dish/clothes washers, the dryer, and the range. For us I would guess the dryer, range, and host water heater eat up the most power.

Our power is 10 cents per KWH.

I don't know what propane cost per gallon. Might want to convert to dollars and compare my power usage. Not quite accurate but if should be a ball park guesstimate/start.

Later,
Dan

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #4  
I know using the stove ,the cook stove ,will use a very little amount. I cooked from april to last week and when they filled the tank it cost me 13.42. Thats even when i forget to turn off the oven and it runs for a bit longer.
What usese a lot of propane for us is our three brick heaters, we run two heaters on low almost all winter long.

/ What's reasonable Propane usage?
Dave, it seems to me that there are too many possible variables for anyone to give you a reliable answer. Things such as the size of the water heater, how well it's insulated, where it's located, how far it is from the water heater to the shower or tub, whether you're using a dishwasher, how much laundry is done, whether the laundry uses hot, warm, or cold water.

For nothing more than a purely wild guess, I'd say it sounds a little high, although I would also have guessed that you are estimating your cooking usage too low.

Hi Bird,

Well, the water tank is an UltraStor 60 gal. Super Store model. It is heated with an internal heat exchange coil. The heat comes from a Peerless propane coldstart boiler rated at 90K btu, with a DOE output rating of 77K btu. The tank is about 30 feet from the boiler and is connected by a loop of 1" PEX.

The washer, shower and tub are close to the hot water tank.

We have a dishwasher that uses hot water, and the washing machine is usually set to "warm". We do about 4 loads of clothes a week.

I sure wish there was the equivalent of a Kill-a-watt for gas usage metering.
When the boiler cycles for the water heater, it runs about 25 mins. It doesn't often cycle when no hot water is being used.

The reason I am asking for ideas is I am considering a solar water heater, but would like to know if I have a big, small or no problem with the current setup.

We just signed up for propane at $2.19/gal for this heating season. Our electric rates are high - 16 cents/kw.

Trying to get a reasonable idea of how much others use in a similar situation.
Thanks.

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #6  
Dave1949,

Regarding solar water heating, a recent edition of Consumer Reports had an article about the subject.

What is sticking in my head was that a system to heat the water for the four of us would be around $7,000. Kinda steep. But the Fed pay 30% and NC state will pay back 35%. The NC refund might take a few years to pay back since they will only refund up to 50% of the system cost in a given year. So it can take multiple years to get your 35% back.

I like the idea of solar heated water. It would cut our power bill and even with a power outage we could have hot water. :D As long as the genset is running. :eek:

Photoelectric is supposed to be dropping in price to due oversupply and lack of demand but it still cost 6$ per watt installed. $6 times 5,000 watts is alot of money even with a 65% tax rebate. :eek: Sure would be nice to have your own basic power supply though.

Later,
Dan

Does the water heater still have the yellow energy sticker on the side? Can you look up the energy usage for the water heater and stove on the companies website?

We don't have gas but we did eat at Taco Bell Saturday night.

Everything is on electric. Our water heat is supposed to cost about $30 a month to run. Its 80 gallons and well insulated. Our average power bill including AC is about $120. That does not include heat since we use the wood stove in the winter. So $30ish a month of hot water and $90ish for lights, well pump, TVs, computers, dish/clothes washers, the dryer, and the range. For us I would guess the dryer, range, and host water heater eat up the most power.

Our power is 10 cents per KWH.

I don't know what propane cost per gallon. Might want to convert to dollars and compare my power usage. Not quite accurate but if should be a ball park guesstimate/start.

Later,
Dan

Hi Dan,

At our current propane rate ($2.19/gal), we spend approx. $57.50/month. Propane is a low energy fuel - 90K/btu per gallon. Oil is 139K btu/gal for example.

At 10 cents per kw, $30 is 300KW.

If your water heater cost is $30/month, it would cost $48 here. (300KW X $0.16/KW). 1 KW hour is 3,412 btu. So 300KW X 3,412 btu/hr = 1,023,600 btu/month. That is 11.37 gal of propane.

I am using about twice that much per month. That's a problem if the numbers can be relied on.

Did you have gas after eating at Taco Bell?:D:D:D
Thanks.

Dave1949,

Regarding solar water heating, a recent edition of Consumer Reports had an article about the subject.

What is sticking in my head was that a system to heat the water for the four of us would be around $7,000. Kinda steep. But the Fed pay 30% and NC state will pay back 35%. The NC refund might take a few years to pay back since they will only refund up to 50% of the system cost in a given year. So it can take multiple years to get your 35% back.

I like the idea of solar heated water. It would cut our power bill and even with a power outage we could have hot water. :D As long as the genset is running. :eek:

Photoelectric is supposed to be dropping in price to due oversupply and lack of demand but it still cost 6$ per watt installed. $6 times 5,000 watts is alot of money even with a 65% tax rebate. :eek: Sure would be nice to have your own basic power supply though.

Later,
Dan

Yeah, those are the prices I am seeing too. $7K to $10K for solar hot water. I am thinking Gary's (builditsolar.com) home-made panel approach is the only way I could justify it. The storage tank prices are outrageous too.

Our challenging time of year is late Nov. thru late Jan. We tend to get extended cloudy stretches that time of year. But I think the other 9-10 mos. of the year, I would get reasonable solar performance.

We considered off-grid and grid-tie solar electric when we built. I like being green but can only afford so much.

Dave.

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #9  
Hi Dan,
Did you have gas after eating at Taco Bell?:D:D:D
Thanks.

It would be impolite to say. ;):D:D:D:D

But I WAS HUNGRY. Friday night I worked 10 hours at the day job and at 5:00pm started up the DR Brush cutter to mow the lawn. Taint mowed the lawn but once this season. :eek::rolleyes:

The "lawn" was a tad on the long side....

Which is why I have the DR Brush cutter. :D:D:D

Took three hours to cut the yard and septic field so I finished at 8:00pm. Good thing I have a light on the DR. :D

For dinner I had two veggie burgers. I like them but not much calories. Saturday the wifey stopped at Taco Bell and brought me three tacos, bean burrito, and an encherito. :eek: I was NOT full when I finished. :eek:

We did leave the windows open that night. :eek:;)

That is my story and I am sticking with it! ;)

Later,
Dan

/ What's reasonable Propane usage? #10  
Yeah, those are the prices I am seeing too. $7K to $10K for solar hot water. I am thinking Gary's (builditsolar.com) home-made panel approach is the only way I could justify it. The storage tank prices are outrageous too.

I am pretty sure that the Feds AND NC state requires a "professional" install to get the solar tax refund. Might want to check before you go through with the installation.

We sized our hot water heater to use in a solar water heater system in the future. I read you could do this but until we try I don't know if it really works. We don't have space for another big tank but I noticed that Rheem has a tank that sits on the roof. :rolleyes: Normally that would not work for me but given our space limitation it might work. We could just use the side of the roof that is not on the pretty side of the house. But until we have cash for the installation its a mute point. :)

Later,
Dan