Self Serve Money Container

/ Self Serve Money Container #1  

Mamps

Hello all,
I am looking for some ideas to make a little safer self serve container. I am putting a container out front for firewood. I am putting sections for $5.00 all the way up to a self serve cord of wood.

I had considered taking an old tractor tire and putting it on some plywood, and filling it with concrete and then sinking a metal box into it deep enough that it will still allow me to open and close the lid.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sad that we have to secure it huh:mad:

/ Self Serve Money Container #2  
build a metal box with a slit out of 11-12 guage hrs. weld a chain on it and wrap it around a tree, or the axle of the cart. If you check it each day, the most you'll lose is one days cash if someone is desparate enough to cut the chain.

/ Self Serve Money Container #3  
Maybe a metal money box welded to a metal pole (round, I-beam, square, whatever).

Put cross bars on the bottom of the pole, bury it about 4' deep. Put a rain cap over the money box to keep the money and the lock dry.

Whatever you do, it is only as secure as the door on the money box.

The drawback to the concrete filled tire is it will be a monster to move later.

Yes, it is sad.

Dave.

/ Self Serve Money Container #4  
As mbohuntr said, if you check it daily you surely don't stand to lose much. Probably less than the time, effort, and expense the other ideas involve. Go in expecting to lose a bit, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised...

/ Self Serve Money Container #5  
put up a sign that says that there is video surveillance.

/ Self Serve Money Container #6  
Lots of campgrounds use a large metal pipe in concrete. The top is welded closed. A slot is cut in the side for money. In the back down low is maybe a 4 inch hole. Above the hole inside the pipe is a trapdoor with a padlock. The padlock is out of reach of tools but you can get a key into it for removing the money.

Here's one:

Picasa Web Albums - puisparks.com

Bruce

/ Self Serve Money Container #7  
Lots of campgrounds use a large metal pipe in concrete. The top is welded closed. A slot is cut in the side for money. In the back down low is maybe a 4 inch hole. Above the hole inside the pipe is a trapdoor with a padlock. The padlock is out of reach of tools but you can get a key into it for removing the money.

Here's one:

Picasa Web Albums - puisparks.com

Bruce

Bruce
looks interesting do you have a picture of the back?

tom

tom

/ Self Serve Money Container #8  
My farmer cousins sell farm fresh eggs from the stoop... they have a money drop just like a mail drop in the wall.

Never had a problem in 10 years... people pick-up the eggs and put the money in an envelope and drop it in the slot...

I few times they got IOU's that were quickly paid... the buyer just didn't have the exact change at the time of purchase.

/ Self Serve Money Container #9  
Last edited:
   / Self Serve Money Container #10  
Hello all,
I am looking for some ideas to make a little safer self serve container. I am putting a container out front for firewood. I am putting sections for $5.00 all the way up to a self serve cord of wood.

I had considered taking an old tractor tire and putting it on some plywood, and filling it with concrete and then sinking a metal box into it deep enough that it will still allow me to open and close the lid.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
*Sad that we have to secure it huh:mad:
Even sadder is you might not need it because some will take the wood and go with out leaving any money.