Good weekend in the country

/ Good weekend in the country #1  

cstocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
It was sure good to get away to the country this past weekend after working massive overtime for the past six weeks. My wife, our seven year old grand daughter and I loaded it up and left the the big city last Thursday night looking like the Beverly Hillbillies on moving day. I had my fourwheeler in the back of my truck and my tractor loaded on my trailer. There were two 100 qt. ice chests strapped on top of the bush hog and two weed whackers, a chainsaw, gas and diesel cans and bags of groceries all stacked around the fourwheeler. The only thing missing was Granny Clampett riding down the highway perched on the tractor.

My friends can always tell when I have spent time at my uncle's farm in south Arkansas because I always come back to work with the battle scars to prove it. This past weekend was no exception. I am sunburned from playing/working on my tractor in the midday sun. I have about twenty'leven chigger bites on my legs from wearing shorts and refusing to spray my legs with bug spray. I have two whelps from being stung by yellow jackets; durn their butts for not liking my mowing over their nest! I got stung on the knuckle so I waved my hat to shoo them away and proceeded to catch one in my cap and put it back on my head! I have briar scratches and a sore back from the chainsaw and riding around on 200 acres worth of overgrown fourwheeler trails. At least I did not find a single tick on me this trip!

My grand daughter had a blast. It was her first trip to the country. She fished and rode all over creation with me on my fourwheeler and played with the dogs and saw all kind of critters that she had never seen before. When we were driving back home on Monday she talked to her mom on the cell phone. The first thing she had to tell her mom was about how many deer she saw and about the snakes, rabbits, squirrels, buzzards, turkeys and even the terrapin that almost got run over by the bush hog. She also had to tell her about the two hornets nests that we discovered, one by the pond and the other beside one of the fourwheeler trails. I am so glad that she made that 350 mile trip with us. I have been making memories in the country all my life and I hope I helped her make a few good ones this past weekend.

Yeah, it was good to go home and spend time away from the crowds and the noise. I hated to come back to the city and my job. Someday I am going to make that trip to the woods and never come back. I look forward to that day.

Chris

/ Good weekend in the country #2  
Chris

Sounds like a nice (hard) way to spend a weekend.

Good to see you take all your toys with you when you go away just like all boys should /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Cheers

/ Good weekend in the country #3  
You "play" in the country just like me -- hopefully I'm going to get one of those weekends this weekend - get the H___ out of Houston and home to Bastrop. My wife really needs to go there. She works DOWNTOWN Houston in one of those big towers - not good for a country girl.
mike

/ Good weekend in the country #4  
I just spent two weeks in late Jone in and around Houston. You're right ... that place is not a sane place for us "country folk"!
And I45 to Dallas should be renamed Damnation Alley! (Are they planning to finish the Corsicana section sometime this cetury?)

/ Good weekend in the country #5  
<font color=blue>Are they planning to finish the Corsicana section sometime this cetury?</font color=blue>
Doubt it - feel for Bird - that's where he lives.
<font color=blue>And I45 to Dallas should be renamed Damnation Alley</font color=blue>
It is -- my bet is it will be a freeway before too many more years, Houston - Dallas - 4 lanes both directions
It'd be nice if they had a speedo train to make the golden triangle loop. Houston <-> San Antonio<->Dallas,FtWorth<->Houston
mike

/ Good weekend in the country #6  
Yep, lots of folks in the Corsicana area wondering whether they'll ever finish I-45./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif In the meantime, all the crashes out there give the Corsicana newspaper something to write about./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Fortunately for me, I just rarely get on I-45. When we go to Dallas, we just go north on FM667 about 20 miles and hit I-35 at Italy. But unfortunately, the Dallas area is now as bad as I remember Houston from years ago./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I guess it's been 12 years since the last time I passed through Houston, and over 20 years since I stopped there./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Good weekend in the country #7  
<font color=blue>and over 20 years since I stopped there</font color=blue>
53 months from now I'll start counting how long I've been out of this mess - 'course I probably won't bother to keep track - I'll be too busy enjoying not being here.
mike

/ Good weekend in the country #8  
Unfortunately, with one of the wife's sons in Dallas ... and with me having to fly into Houston and drive down to the Brazosport area for meetings every year ... I get to see Houston traffic and, occassionally, Dallas/Ft Worth traffic far more than I like .... but after my last trip to Chicago, I can sincerely say ... Houston ain't got traffic!!! Even L.A. at rush hour is better than Chicago!

Heh ... i had just mentioned to a friend in Freeport, over supper, that the ride to Dallas would only take 5 hours since the construction around Corsicana was finally finished (based on the last trip I made through - last summer) ... so imagine my surprise when I got to Corsicana ....
Of course, I45 out of Houston is kinda construction-crazy too ... maybe they took lessons from Corsicana.

/ Good weekend in the country
Neil,

I left all my toys behind when I came home this week. That knocked about an hour off the drive and made the trip a lot more relaxing, not towing that trailer behind me. That means I HAVE to go back to the country in four weeks to get all my toys and bring them home! Chaps my hide.... not!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Chris

/ Good weekend in the country #10  
<font color=blue>Even L.A. at rush hour is better than Chicago!</font color=blue>

Yep, it always seemed bad to me, too, everytime I've been there./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And I don't have any plans to go there again.