Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn

/ Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I looking at ways to control pig weed in my sweet corn patch without spraying herbicides. I am thinking about using corn gluten meal next spring. If I spread it after the corn is a few inches high it should not be effected by the corn gluten and it should kill of any germinating pig weed seeds if I read the research page correctly. Anyone tried this before on corn or any other garden crops?

Corn Gluten Meal Research Page : Department of Horticulture

/ Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn #2  
Luremaker,
That's a new one on me for sure. Never would have thought. Is your spot to big to hand weed? probably so if your going this route.

/ Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn #3  
I was involved with a company that was formed to produce and market corn gluten meal as a natural herbicde. The idea was to get away from using chemical products in favor of natural solutions.
My opinion of CGM is that it shows a lot of promise but still needs ongoing reseach done in order to unlock its potential, especially in the application process. If you use it, don't expect it to be a magic bullit. It will probaly reduce your weeds somewhat but not completely. At that point you will have to weigh the cost/benefit ratio for what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck, Mike.

/ Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn #4  
I agree with Mike. I've been aware of CGM for many years, but it is a very timing critical herbicide that depends on having its application occur with a dry spell of weather for 5-7 days after application. Of course, chemical herbicides also work best with dry weather.

It is absolutely necessary for CGM to be put down before seed germination because it will not work once the weeds develop any root system. It interferes with the formation of roots after the seed germinates. If you get it down and the weed seed has already germinated and formed roots, you've just added a great natural fertilizer.

Like Mike said, it's no magic bullet, but it is a good natural product that performs as advertised when you apply it with good timing and in the correct amount.

/ Anyone use Corn Gluten Meal to Control Weeds in Corn
Thanks for the replys guys. I called around this morning to get some prices on CGM. It's more expensive than I thought. It would cost me over $500 per application on my 1/2 acre corn patch.:eek: That's too rich for me.