Cheap game cameras

/ Cheap game cameras #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Ive read all the posts on game camera and helped set them up but I never really used one. Id like a suggestion on a cheap game cam to set up to watch my house and dog pen. My wifes grandmother past away and At the funeral I witnessed it greedy uncle having and all out cuss match in the church and then a fist fight in the church and the police comming. My wifes grandma tolm us the wouldnt like the out come of the will reading and he may do something to our house or my dogs. My pens are in the open and hes the type that could easily shoot them or poison them . i dont know a thing about game cams either. I also saw a radioshak security camera set up for 50 bucks.

/ Cheap game cameras #2  
I would listen to the dogs. I have a very expensive game camera but that is not what I would use it for. The dogs will let me know if something is wrong. I don't expect the dogs to stop what may happen but they will for sure wake me up.The camera will have pictures after the fact. Dogs are much better than a camera. I don't want a picture of it. I want to stop it.

/ Cheap game cameras
Well the 4 sheperds come in at night no worries about him breaking in but what Im worried about is when no one is home. I just want proof of who did something if I wasnt home. this guy is a totall idiot.

/ Cheap game cameras #4  
I just bought a s1.3 WildGame innovations camera at Wally World to replace an over priced piece of Moultri product. I paid $50 for it. It has worked pretty darn good for fifty bucks so far.

I have over $200 in the Moultry and it's junk.

/ Cheap game cameras #5  
If you go too cheap on the cam, you will have a slow trigger pull and too much reset time before the next pic. I have a bushnell IR for $250, but i wanted to have pics without the subject being aware. For your application, i think a regular security camera that is obvious to someone would be better. Perhaps a talk with the suspected perp might be in order as well, letting him know you had nothing to do with the situation that has him upset, and that you are aware of his concerns, ie. "dont be messing around my place" Good luck, chuck

/ Cheap game cameras #6  
My wifes grandma tolm us the wouldnt like the out come of the will reading and he may do something to our house or my dogs.

IF its of that much concern to you then authorities should probably know about it.

Q are the game cameras going to keep something from being done if the person doesnt know they are there

A no

Q is any kind of surveillance camera going to prevent a determined (perhaps not-in-right-mine ie drunk) person from takeing action

A Likely not

Q If you suspect action to be taken at a fair distance, will the cameras be able to 1) detect the suspect at that range 2) provide clear photographic evidence?

A no and no

From the above it seems clear, for situation that you have, i see little that camera's provide other than peace of mind to you.

As for advise concerning the underlining reason for the game camera question, like others have said, id be proactive about it. Make shure the other party knows that YOU know they arnt happy about the situation, The cops know about the situation, and that you are on the lookout.

/ Cheap game cameras #7  
Check out ebay,couple friends of mine did well.

/ Cheap game cameras #8  
You can buy a Stealth game cam STC 1540 IR (no flash) on ebay for about $117. They are 5 megapixels, good quality pics and decent black and white nite photos.

/ Cheap game cameras #9  
I also have a Stealth Cam STC 1540 IR. Great camera for the money. It will also do moving images, too!

Attachments

• Cam 9-23 24 -09 (21).JPG
    Cam 9-23 24 -09 (21).JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Cam 9-25-09 008.jpg
    Cam 9-25-09 008.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 128
   / Cheap game cameras #10  
I like Stealth Cam. I've tried a few of the other brands, but took them back because I wasn't happy with the results, or they just quit working after a few weeks.

Honestly, if I was expecting something to happen, or even concerned that there is a likelyhood of it happening, then money would be my secondary concern. What you spend on a security and surveilance system is cheap compared to what might happen.

Since this is an area that you are unfamiliar with, and I am too, I would call all of the local security companies in your area and have them bid doing it for you. Driveway alarms, 24 hour monitoring with fire detection and video camera surveilance. It wont' be cheap, but it will lower our home owners premiums and give you piece of mind. For added insurance, I would post that it's under serveilance and install a coulple of dummy cameras to either warn him, or to be decoys of the real cameras.

While typing this, I think I would go out right now and buy some fake cameras and signs just to get things started. Some of those cameras have LED lights in them that light up. Just have one at the gate and a few others around the house. If he's like most vandals, he's a coward and will back down if he thinks he'll get caught.

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this.

Eddie