Anybody here use portable garages?

/ Anybody here use portable garages? #21  
NSBound - you're welcome! The folks on this forum are much more skilled and talented then me, so I'm glad you started a topic to which I could add some input....:D

Here are the instructions for the door kit from ShelterLogic - I just copied the design. But my design didn't require making the slits in the cover (that just really bugged me), was much cheaper, and I think sturdier (no plastic parts)

If you do move it over bare ground, consider the impact of moisture buildup inside - like a greenhouse almost - which can really damage whatever metal is stored inside. I just covered the ground with a heavy tarp tucked under the vertical posts and cinder blocks in the corners. You need to be careful when steering on it, but for the most part it holds up well. I was considering the vent kit (attached as well) but haven't needed it

I like your idea of the earthen cut-out -it would help buffer the wind -but also consider surface drainage. I did something similar because my property is all hills - my "garage" sits at the base of a steep hill - had to add fill to make the pad level. But water flows down the hill in the rain and would have probably pooled inside the shed - so I dug a drainage ditch (and filled with gravel) between the base of the hill and the shed to divert the water.

Attachments

• Shelter Logic Roll-up door.jpg
    Shelter Logic Roll-up door.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Vent_Kit_Part_10031_35_99_Shipping_9_00_sized.jpg
    Vent_Kit_Part_10031_35_99_Shipping_9_00_sized.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 150
   / Anybody here use portable garages?
...Here are the instructions for the door kit from ShelterLogic - ...If you do move it over bare ground, consider the impact of moisture buildup inside - like a greenhouse almost -

All good ideas, thanx. I have sure noticed the moisture buildup on my car when it's been inside for a day or two. Much appreciated.:)

/ Anybody here use portable garages? #23  
I've had mine, ShelterLogic 12x24 for over two years now. It has held up much better than I ever expected

The only place I have any wear is the bottom of the door flap from rubbing on the ground when blown by the wind
Does a pole run through a sleeve at the bottom of the wall? It looks like it in this picture, but I wanted to make sure. It's a good idea. I've had a shelter from Costco for a long time now. It only uses velcro tabs to hold down the wall. Most of them have pulled out over the years.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...nybody-here-use-portable-garages-dsc00007.jpg

/ Anybody here use portable garages?
Does a pole run through a sleeve at the bottom of the wall?

In mine, all the vertical pipes and roofing system pipes are all bolted together. In the wall sections there are horizontal poles that run through sleeves about a foot up from the ground. Those pipes are made of 2 sections that just friction fit one end inside the next piece with no bolts, as the bolts would wear on the material of the sleeve. That way, you can put a weight on the outside of the flap that is below the pipe sleeves to help hold it to the ground. I placed a bucket of cement on the flap, (i.e., the bottom edge of the wall) one on each side of mine.

The only parts of the whole structure that flap in the breeze are the two ends, neither of which has a pole through the bottom edge. I see that as a future weakness, as there also isn't enough material to put a weighted object on.

/ Anybody here use portable garages? #25  
In mine, all the vertical pipes and roofing system pipes are all bolted together. In the wall sections there are horizontal poles that run through sleeves about a foot up from the ground. Those pipes are made of 2 sections that just friction fit one end inside the next piece with no bolts, as the bolts would wear on the material of the sleeve. That way, you can put a weight on the outside of the flap that is below the pipe sleeves to help hold it to the ground. I placed a bucket of cement on the flap, (i.e., the bottom edge of the wall) one on each side of mine.

The only parts of the whole structure that flap in the breeze are the two ends, neither of which has a pole through the bottom edge. I see that as a future weakness, as there also isn't enough material to put a weighted object on.

I see it's been a few years since your posting of your portable garage, would you mind letting me know how it worked out. I am thinking of going the same way for storage on my property.