Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader

Default generator/transfer switch connection

I considering a transfer switch installation for more convenience and versatility from the generator. The generator has a 240v 3 prong outlet and the transfer switch connectors are 4 prong. The generator schematic indicates the prongs are for hot, hot, and ground. Is there a practical way to get to the 4 wire cord with neutral and ground required for the transfer switch connection?

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Default Re: generator/transfer switch connection

Dare I say you don't need one? Both of those lines, the white and ground, of the 4 prong plug go back to your main panel where they are joined together.

In an emergency I would gladly just not use the white wire. It would work. Just look at the power feed from the street, it only has three wires.

Instead I own a genset that has the 4 prong twistlok connector so I get to use all four wires. If you can, use all 4.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Quote Originally Posted by geneP View Post
    I considering a transfer switch installation for more convenience and versatility from the generator. The generator has a 240v 3 prong outlet and the transfer switch connectors are 4 prong. The generator schematic indicates the prongs are for hot, hot, and ground. Is there a practical way to get to the 4 wire cord with neutral and ground required for the transfer switch connection?

We need more info it might be just 240v and ground with out neutral be careful.

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Quote Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
    In an emergency I would gladly just not use the white wire. It would work. Just look at the power feed from the street, it only has three wires.

The utility power has 2 hot lines and a neutral/ground combined = 3 wires 240v plus ground is different.

tom

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kabota 6100 Kabota L35

Quote Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post

No this would be a bad idea. You must use the white wire; it is the current return for the 125v circuits.

Don't confuse the third wire (bare wire) power feed from the power pole for a ground wire, it is not a ground wire, it is the equivalent of the white wire in your main panel.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader

I can go into the panel and wire a pigtail out and pick up a neutral off the 120v circuits. I just don't understand their thinking when they put the 3-wire outlet on 240 volts. This is a Wacker Construction type unit, so maybe they are designed for straight 240 volt load.

I've gone to their website and asked the question. They look to be a German company, so I don't know if they will respond. I'll report their answer if I get one.

Gene

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L-35

I can go into the panel and wire a pigtail out and pick up a neutral off the 120v circuits. I just don't understand their thinking when they put the 3-wire outlet on 240 volts. This is a Wacker Construction type unit, so maybe they are designed for straight 240 volt load.

I've gone to their website and asked the question. They look to be a German company, so I don't know if they will respond. I'll report their answer if I get one.

Gene
    Could the generator "ground" actually be the neutral?
    Couldn't you check this with a meter?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Gene
    They are European it might just be straight 240v because that is what they use over there for house power.

A friend of mine has a Coleman one like that 120v duplex is 2 separate circuits with a common neutral and the 240v is straight 240 and not connected to the neutral not good for much.

the correct receptical Should be like L14-20 20A 125/250VOLT 4 wire

tom

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7610 hst

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kabota 6100 Kabota L35

If the schematic for your generator looks like the circuit #2 in the attachment then the center tap that is drawn as a ground would be your white wire which is the neutral and not a true ground wire.

If it is drawn different than that could you put up a drawing so we can see what you have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img004-rs-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast