generator/transfer switch connection

/ generator/transfer switch connection #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I considering a transfer switch installation for more convenience and versatility from the generator. The generator has a 240v 3 prong outlet and the transfer switch connectors are 4 prong. The generator schematic indicates the prongs are for hot, hot, and ground. Is there a practical way to get to the 4 wire cord with neutral and ground required for the transfer switch connection?

/ generator/transfer switch connection #2  
Dare I say you don't need one? Both of those lines, the white and ground, of the 4 prong plug go back to your main panel where they are joined together.

In an emergency I would gladly just not use the white wire. It would work. Just look at the power feed from the street, it only has three wires.

Instead I own a genset that has the 4 prong twistlok connector so I get to use all four wires. If you can, use all 4.

/ generator/transfer switch connection #3  
I considering a transfer switch installation for more convenience and versatility from the generator. The generator has a 240v 3 prong outlet and the transfer switch connectors are 4 prong. The generator schematic indicates the prongs are for hot, hot, and ground. Is there a practical way to get to the 4 wire cord with neutral and ground required for the transfer switch connection?

We need more info it might be just 240v and ground with out neutral be careful.

tom

/ generator/transfer switch connection #4  
In an emergency I would gladly just not use the white wire. It would work. Just look at the power feed from the street, it only has three wires.

The utility power has 2 hot lines and a neutral/ground combined = 3 wires 240v plus ground is different.

tom

/ generator/transfer switch connection #5  

No this would be a bad idea. You must use the white wire; it is the current return for the 125v circuits.

Don't confuse the third wire (bare wire) power feed from the power pole for a ground wire, it is not a ground wire, it is the equivalent of the white wire in your main panel.

/ generator/transfer switch connection
I can go into the panel and wire a pigtail out and pick up a neutral off the 120v circuits. I just don't understand their thinking when they put the 3-wire outlet on 240 volts. This is a Wacker Construction type unit, so maybe they are designed for straight 240 volt load.

I've gone to their website and asked the question. They look to be a German company, so I don't know if they will respond. I'll report their answer if I get one.

Gene

/ generator/transfer switch connection #7  
I can go into the panel and wire a pigtail out and pick up a neutral off the 120v circuits. I just don't understand their thinking when they put the 3-wire outlet on 240 volts. This is a Wacker Construction type unit, so maybe they are designed for straight 240 volt load.

I've gone to their website and asked the question. They look to be a German company, so I don't know if they will respond. I'll report their answer if I get one.

Gene

Could the generator "ground" actually be the neutral?
Couldn't you check this with a meter?

/ generator/transfer switch connection #8  

Gene

They are European it might just be straight 240v because that is what they use over there for house power.

A friend of mine has a Coleman one like that 120v duplex is 2 separate circuits with a common neutral and the 240v is straight 240 and not connected to the neutral not good for much.

the correct receptical Should be like L14-20 20A 125/250VOLT 4 wire

tom

/ generator/transfer switch connection #10  
If the schematic for your generator looks like the circuit #2 in the attachment then the center tap that is drawn as a ground would be your white wire which is the neutral and not a true ground wire.

If it is drawn different than that could you put up a drawing so we can see what you have.

Attachments

• img004-rs.jpg
    img004-rs.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 474