I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs..

/ I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs.. #11  
Re: I found out why I don\'t have any fresh eggs..

That's one big black snake, maybe the biggest I've ever seen. We have quite a few of those around.

I don't know if this is true or not, but the old timers around here say that black snakes will keep the copperheads and rattlesnakes away. For that reason, we never kill the black snakes we see around here, but I would probably view it differently if they were taking my eggs.

/ I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs..

Until the day I found the snake eating the eggs I left all snakes alone cept copperheads thinking they would keep the rat population out of the barns. I'll still won't kill them unless I have too. From now on I'll try to pick them up and bring them to the crop fields.

/ I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs.. #13  

I said I'd come over for steak and poker, not snake in the smoker!

/ I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs.. #14  

We call them chicken snakes here abouts. Most folks think the best thing to do with them is to make two of them out of each one you find.

I usually move them away and leave them be. They're just snakes doing what snakes do.

But twice I've had wrestling matches with them for eggs. They're not really hard to whup. After you get past the scaley feel. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ I found out why I don't have any fresh eggs.. #15  

thats a big snake, i think they do more damage to birds than anything else. i doubt they eat enough to put a dent in the rodent population, so i terminate them when possible. i leave king snakes and "hog nose " snakes, sometimes called "spread-naders" alone..the rest are fair game.
heehaw