Installing a wood stove in my garage

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
Greetings,

I picked up a 55,000 BTU wood stove and all the correct piping for my 28x28 garage. This will be my first wood stove and a first time installing one.

I spend a decent amount of time in the garage and my labs are basically housed in there as well. I'm just getting tired of using propane and kerosene as my heat source (too expensive). I actually can't wait to get it installed, and I've already started collecting and splitting wood :D Plus I get to use my tractor to haul logs and firewood and its a great feeling of satisfaction that the labor is going to good use.

Any garage wood stove users out there? Any tips or advice?

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #2  
Make sure you have proper clearance around the stove and the stovepipe. If you have fire insurance on the garage and the stove isn't installed right your company may decline a claim if you have one.

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #3  
have had one for years, my dad has had one ever sence i can remember being in his garage, my uncle and my 2 cousins all have wood garage stoves.

the more centrally located the better it will heat the garage.

Include a ceiling fan above the stove

vertically vented is best for performance (draft etc)

in theory any stovepipe that runs through a non-insulated area should be insulated stove pipe (to keep the combustion gasses hot enough to properly rise all the way up and keep creosote deposits to a min)

i burn a LOT of scrap pallets in mine. wood is free, dry, usually hardwood and makes easy starting kindling.

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #4  
I recently installed a wood stove in my garage. A couple of suggestions: 1) Use insulated stove pipe going through the roof with the proper flashing and make sure it's well sealed against water intrusion from rain and snow. 2) If wind is a problem, consider using a chimney cap I used called a vacu-stack. I was having trouble with smoke puffing back down the chimney on windy days and the vacu-stack cured the problem nicely. The stove draws very well now. 3) On the interior side I used single wall black stove pipe from the stove up to the insulated ceiling support.
If done right, all should work well and the garage will be nice n toasty! Mike.

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #5  
if placing it near a corner, use a layer of durock over a layer of sheetrock to help heep heat off the wall. If you want it to look pretty, you can add tile or 1/2 brick veneer to that. Make sure you've got at least 2' of clearance between the stove and combustibles, too.

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #6  
How are you getting the pipe out of the garage, do you have a chimney?

We love heating with wood. We heat out home and garage with wood stoves.

We enjoy harvesting wood, cutting splitting and stacking wood.
We even cook meals on our indoor stoves with dutch ovens.
sherpa

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage
if placing it near a corner, use a layer of durock over a layer of sheetrock to help heep heat off the wall. If you want it to look pretty, you can add tile or 1/2 brick veneer to that. Make sure you've got at least 2' of clearance between the stove and combustibles, too.

It most likely will be going in a corner. Even though the stove only recommends 8 inches of clearance from the wall, I should still add Durock?

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage
How are you getting the pipe out of the garage, do you have a chimney?

From the stove...... about 9 foot of black pipe to the ceiling, then once through the ceiling, Class A insulated pipe through the attic and out through the roof. Straight up.......No 90's

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #9  
Well, wood stoves are actually illegal in the garage. You would have to build a room within the garage for the stove.

Doesn't mean people don't do it but it does mean that if the place burns down that your insurance won't cover you. Worst yet, if the fire spreads to a neighbor's property or hurts someone that you are liable and uninsured. Kinda ugly really. You can check this because when you go to get a permit for it, the permit will be denied.

If you choose to do it anyway be sure that you make it foolproof and be extra diligent to avoid chimney fires.

Another option for a garage is a wood furnace that will make gobs of hot air and is more likely to be permitted.

Remember, unpermitted = illegal = void your insurance.

/ Installing a wood stove in my garage #10  
It most likely will be going in a corner. Even though the stove only recommends 8 inches of clearance from the wall, I should still add Durock?

OK - then it's a double wall model, but I'd still make sure there was something non-flammable in that corner, just to be safe, and durock is cheap. $10 per sheet and you only need one 3x5 sheet on each wall to give you plenty of coverage.