TV Antenna

/ TV Antenna #1  

buckeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-40
Has anyone tried out the XiumAir TV antenna? The add was in one of my magazines this month and I was curious if anyone has used or knows of someone who has one.

Basically my wife and I are finishing up on the building of our new house. I am currently getting ready to install the DSS for our main TV viewing, but need something for the "local" networks. I used quotes around "local" since the closest station is an NBC affiliate almost 30 miles away. The ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates are probably 45 miles away. I have no access to cable and thanks to the Recent satellite acts, it will be difficult to get distant networks.

As such, we are looking for antennas that may be able to pick up some stations. The real problem is that I don't want a large mast around our new house and this XiumAir thing looked fairly neat. I could put it on the same pole I install the DSS system.

I look forward to any response you all may have. I'm pretty sure most of your responses could be summarized by "There is no such thing as a free lunch," but you never know.............

Jim

/ TV Antenna #2  
<font color=blue>...XiumAir TV antenna...</font color=blue>

I hadn't heard of this brand...

But, you can install a regular antenna up in your attic... it will not be unsightly, won't weather... but directional depending on home placement... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

If the walls are still open in your home... you can install RG59 cable and outlets throughout... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TV Antenna #3  
If you go to a local TV store, not best buy and such but a real local tv shop, they can tell you what works in your area. They may have special cut antennas made your area. Check with them before you buy.
Dan L

/ TV Antenna #4  
my stepson has installed several of those "inside-installation" type antennas and had success ... but based on my esxperience the answer is " depends on the footprint those local stations put out ". They're all basically line-of-sight and hills and large trees sure play havoc with signals. I have a station that less than 30 miles away that is all snow and another that's 45 miles away that's clear as a bell. I'm just in the process of putting up a tower to get the antenna higher yet (and mount all the weather equipment) because I hate snow!

/ TV Antenna #5  
<font color=blue>'you can install a regular antenna up in your attic"</font color=blue>

I thought my dad was the only one who did that. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TV Antenna #6  
<font color=blue>...a real local tv shop, they can tell you what works in your area. They may have special cut antennas made your area...</font color=blue>

That's a real good idea... but stop at an 'ole timer's shop... cause most of the newer guys have never installed antenna's because of the cable... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

We used an outfit called "Antenna-Craft" that custom designed units for the major cities throughout the US...

/ TV Antenna #7  
Your 45 miles out, but how is the signal in your area. What is the topology of the land. if its reasonably flat and the signals are high power then a mid range directional antenna will do. If you have a lang run from the antenna to the TV a pre-amp may also be needed.

/ TV Antenna #9  
dish network seems to be pretty easy to get the nbc/cbs/abc stations from anywhere they have access..what DSS service are you using??
heehaw

/ TV Antenna #10  
Antenna selection is a very simple thing. Antenna performance is dependent upon one thing and only one thing...number of elements. Many manufacturers base their antennas on mileage ranges, i.e. 90, 110, 120, etc. Don't use this as your only selection criterion. If you are 45 miles away from the transmitters, don't just go buy a 50 mile antenna.

TV antennas have two components - the VHF elements and the UHF elements. They are often rated separately. For example an ant. that is rated 120 miles VHF will normally be rated for 90 miles UHF.

Be aware of the locations of the transmitters (towers) that you want to receive. In many cities the VHF stations (older licenses) are clusterd together on the edge of town. The newer UHF stations tend to be more scattered and may have transmitters on top of buildings downtown. I mention this because you will want a rotor. The rotor lets you turn the antenna to zero in on the tower you want to watch.

You may be able to get a larger antenna and rotor inside your attic. I've installed dozens that way and had excellent results.