Automatic Chicken Door Opener

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #1  

mjfox6

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L3400 HST
I recently installed an automatic door opener on my chicken pen. I let my chickens free range during the day, but I can't always make it home in the evenings before dark to lock the door (Or ever with the time change). The unit has a light sensor and I bought the external timer as well.

I ordered it from Automatic doors for poultry housing | VSB | VSB b | VSB bi | VSB b SA which is in England. It only took 11 calendar days to show up.

The bad: It is expensive! It was shipped all the way from England in a thinly padded plastic bag. My order did not contain the external light sensor, the batteries, the wires necessary to connect the opening unit with the timer and only 1 of the 4 replacement strings, all of which they claim must have fallen out in transit (back to the plastic bag issue).

The good: Very responsive to my e-mails. They wanted to ship me the missing parts, but gave me a refund for the missing parts instead, at my request. Easy to install and to program the timer.

I built the door frame and used a thin piece of steel for the door. I put the controller and timer in a box to protect them even more from the elements. I am only using the timer, so I don't need the light sensor.

After a week of using it, I think it is fantastic! I really like not having to worry about letting them out in the mornings and being home to lock them up in the evenings. Can't wait until the next time I need to leave town...no more bothering the neighbors! :)

Here are some pictures: 1. outside, 2. inside, 3. the VSBb unit and timer.
VSB1.jpgVSB2.jpgVSB3.jpg

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #2  
I have been kicking around one of these in my pea brain for some time. I hate having to "put the chickens up" & "let the chickens out" (it's a big joke between the Wife & I.....said in a old english biddy voice..."did ew put the chickens up???" )
I saved a deer feeder motor, board & sensor after the squirrells ate the plastic corn spinner. And, I have two Porter Cable 19.2v drill motors(drills don't like being dropped from roofs or scaffolding onto pavement). Between th two I should be able to come up with a auto door.

So your is guillotine type door? Well, how expensive? I am going to build a new coop, up on a pole 4' off the ground. Predator skirt on the pole, so a auto door may be overkill....but then again maybe not.

RD

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener
So your is guillotine type door? Well, how expensive?
RD

I just purchased treated lumber for the frame and slotted it with a tablesaw. The door is a thin piece of 12x18" steel that I bought from Lowes for about $7.

Not sure how I forgot this, but the main reason I went with this one (i.e. the good) is that it is battery powered. I don't have electric at my coop and didn't want to run it there. The batteries are supposed to last from 1-4 years! I plan on switching them out once a year so I don't get stuck with my door open.

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #5  
No, not the door the whole mechanisim....looks like $150 US? plus shipping??

RD

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #6  
Found some items that may be of interest.

THE DIYers photos. Chicken coop automatic door
shows how to make one from a drape motor and timer

G. Gearloose Model "A" Chicken Door Closer is interesting

Auto Coop Door Prototype
one made with a drill motor

BackYardChickens Forum / $30 Automatic Chicken Coop Door Plans

NIB REMOTE CONTROL UMBRELLA OPENER, - eBay (item 360090049423 end time Dec-11-09 16:13:33 PST) shows a remote control umbrella motor, i wonder how that would work??

Believe me, I looked at a lot of plans online. And just like you, the majority of what I found were AC powered, which you can do cheaply. I was originally going to build a DC controller, but I figured by the time I was done, I would have probably spent more money than the one I bought.

Also, I wanted to mount mine on the pen, not in the house, which required it to be weather resistant.

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #8  
automatic chicken door opener

I can't help myself but I instantly saw the title and thought....FOX......or maybe even RACCOON :D

I can't help myself but I instantly saw the title and thought....FOX......or maybe even RACCOON :D

Yeah, there is a FOX in my hen house every night! :)

/ Automatic Chicken Door Opener #10  
The link to the Backyard Chicken forum plans is a post of mine detailing the door I made for about $30 using a cordless screwdriver motor. It's a "KISS" design using simple relay logic and minimal parts. Mine plugs into AC to keep the screwdriver battery charged, but you could swap in some large batteries and make it self-powered easily.