Remington 597/.17 HMR recall

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #1  

Erik_in_Hoyt

Platinum Member
Tractor
century 2535
This is a safety issue also, but figured Rural living was the best place to post:

Remington is posting 1/4 page ads in various gun magazines about the recall on their .17 hmr 597 and Remington branded 17 hmr ammo - as it is not safe for use in semi-auto rifles.
They are offering a $10 coupon for every FULL box of ammo mailed back and $200-250 for each 597 rifle, depending on configuration.
The coupons are only good for buying other Remington merchandise, and will take 6-8 weeks to process after they get your stuff.

Not good PR.

http://www.remington.com/safety/17_H...ce/default.asp

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #3  
Funny You should mention that Eric . There was an add On craigslist the other day for a 597 & 5 boxes of Ammo for 400 bucks . I googled it to see if I might be interested in it & found that .

I Posted a warning on CL about it in the wichita Sporting section About that & I,m surprised its still there , His add got flagged but Mine didn,t . Heres a C&P of what I posted . :eek: lol . Bob

Rem 597 .17hmr with 5 boxes and Bushnell

316-259-

I,m sure this ad will be deleted soon But to Anyone that has seen it . Here is a warning You need to be aware of before Buying . Not Trying to pick on the seller , So I will remove the last part of the phone # . Just making people aware . The weapon & ammo have been recalled by the factory as not being safe . See link .

Safety Warning And Recall Notice

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall
wild - I thought CL policy forbid weapon sales.
I found out about the recall last night when I saw the notice in my new American Rifleman.

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #5  
They are offering a $10 coupon for every FULL box of ammo mailed back and $200-250 for each 597 rifle, depending on configuration.

These $ amounts don't seem to meet replacement costs for current prices of ammunition or rifles.

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall
These $ amounts don't seem to meet replacement costs for current prices of ammunition or rifles.

ayup - there's a petition about that, too, if you google ".17 hmr recall".
I was pretty turned off by the whole "our product is bad, but if you choose to return it, you can only buy a more expensive product with your "refund" thing.
I also noticed that none of the other ammunition or rifle manufacturers have issued similar warnings.
makes me wonder if they didn't use a .22 mag chambered rifle as the base for the round like the competition did.

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #7  
wild - I thought CL policy forbid weapon sales.
I found out about the recall last night when I saw the notice in my new American Rifleman.

Yep , Eric Your right , They ussually are flagged of within 5 minutes on CL . Most Guys post them real earlly in the Mornin before the Flag police wake up , Thats Why I get up so earlly , Earlly bird gets the worm :D . Bob

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #8  
I had two of the 597's blow up and Remington replaced. The first one was the original 597 I had and they gave me a replacement 597. When that one blew up I contacted them and told them I didn't want another 597. They gave me a bolt action .17hmr and it has been flawless. These guns have had issues for a long time and Remington is dumb for not recalling these a long time ago. I am glad they finally woke up though as people could have been seriously injured by these guns and some may have been. I know I was lucky both times, my daughter usually shoots with me and when the gun exploded the second time it blew the clip out the bottom, off the shooting table and back right to where my daughter would have been sitting if she was with me that day. She was the day earlier and was even shooting that gun. At that point I didn't care if Remington gave me anything for it but I was never going to own another one.

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #9  
hmmmmm

i love my 597 in .22 long. Had considered getting one in .17hmr

what surprises me is unlike every other recall were they list what the cause is (ie the floor mat could get lodged under the gas peddle, or the cruise control circuit is prone to short out causing fire) they dont list a reason for the recall.

such as chamber pressures exceed the recommended use. or after prolonged use the slide can warp causing the gun to malfunction.

need more information than "its not safe to use"

/ Remington 597/.17 HMR recall #10  
hmmmmm

i love my 597 in .22 long. Had considered getting one in .17hmr

what surprises me is unlike every other recall were they list what the cause is (ie the floor mat could get lodged under the gas peddle, or the cruise control circuit is prone to short out causing fire) they dont list a reason for the recall.

such as chamber pressures exceed the recommended use. or after prolonged use the slide can warp causing the gun to malfunction.

need more information than "its not safe to use"

What my gun smith told me (trying to remember but my memory is terrible) is that the action doesn't properly close as the tolerances is way too close and that causes the gun to blow up when fired as it forces the action back and the shell explodes inside the receiver. Both my 597's were .17HMR and they both died the same exact way. The .22 version has a great reputation and is not prone to this issue. I would think Remington would be warning everyone about the exact danger these guns pose to get people to get them back to Remington. The first gun I had blew after 3 rounds. The second one blew after the 47th if I recall as I just started a new box of ammo when it went bye bye.