Using a generator to power a water well pump

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #71  
The best info I've found on generators and well pumps. Although power is very reliable in central Colorado, a recent wind storm and no water for a day convinced me now is the time for backup, not to mention a SHTF scenario. Following is my info:

Submersible 1 HP Red Jacket (230 Volts)
Well Depth: 320'
Pumping Level: 163'
Static Level: 40'
Rate: 15 GPM

Branson 4720i: 42 HP PTO
House: Propane (Two 1000 gallon tanks)

I'm debating on the type of generator. I could easily back the tractor / PTO gen into my garage and only have a portion of the tractor in the elements. However it seems a propane generator would make the most sense, especially when it comes to long term diesel storage, which I currently only have ~50 gallons of storage capability. Not sure if a stand-alone gas / diesel would fit into the equation?

Just curious what the smart folks out there would suggest for type and size of generator would be best for my circumstances, along with the most bang for the buck. Thanks in advance!
The issue on starting a motor is the inrush current(amps) which can be up to 6 time the running current(amps). You may need 4500 watts just to start the pump. After it starts the amps will drop back to the normal running current(amps).
I use a 6.5KW diesel stand alone. This gets me good efficiency and leaves my tractor free to use for storm clean up.
If I went propane and had an extended outage I would use about 40# of propane a day running about 5KW for 16 hours a day.
I use about 4.5 gallons of diesel on the same run of 16 hours. 55 gallons of diesel would keep me running for about 12 days. 500 gallons of propane would keep me going for about 10 days. Now if natural gas were and option that would really be a route to consider. :D

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #72  
Having the large supply of fuel is a real plus. It can be hard to get during bad weather. Roads get blocked and power at the fueling station can be out. Since you have all of this propane I would use it.

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #73  
Many thanks - I'll start looking for a gen today.

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #74  
Having the large supply of fuel is a real plus. It can be hard to get during bad weather. Roads get blocked and power at the fueling station can be out. Since you have all of this propane I would use it.

Maybe I gave the wrong impression in my response. I do not have a 500 gallon propane tank but if I did it would only hold me for 10 or 12 days. I do usually have between 20 to 60 gallons of diesel on hand between the diesel generator the truck and the 2 tractors. It would be to difficult to get a refill of propane if we had an event the went on for and extended period of time.:)

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #75  
Maybe I gave the wrong impression in my response. I do not have a 500 gallon propane tank but if I did it would only hold me for 10 or 12 days. I do usually have between 20 to 60 gallons of diesel on hand between the diesel generator the truck and the 2 tractors. It would be to difficult to get a refill of propane if we had an event the went on for and extended period of time.:)

Sorry, I misunderstood. You cannot refill propane yourself, so I don't like to use it as my emergency supply unless I have a whole lot of it. However, if it has been several days without power and I was running low on fuel, I would start cutting back on generator use. Only run it for vital things like water, sewage and refrigeration. To that end I have a very small inverter generator (1600 watts continous) that will run 9 hours on one gallon of gas. It will not start my well. In the worst case of low fuel I would run the big generator just to pump up the well and drain the septic tank. This might be 30 minutes a day. Then run the little one for the small refrigerator and freezer and solar pump with a few lites.

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #76  
Sorry, I misunderstood. You cannot refill propane yourself, so I don't like to use it as my emergency supply unless I have a whole lot of it. However, if it has been several days without power and I was running low on fuel, I would start cutting back on generator use. Only run it for vital things like water, sewage and refrigeration. To that end I have a very small inverter generator (1600 watts continous) that will run 9 hours on one gallon of gas. It will not start my well. In the worst case of low fuel I would run the big generator just to pump up the well and drain the septic tank. This might be 30 minutes a day. Then run the little one for the small refrigerator and freezer and solar pump with a few lites.
You are right I could stretch my fuel usage out quit a bit. My little 6.5KW diesel generator usually gets about 3 hours to the gallon or a little better and I could shut it down for long stretches through the day but we usually just operate as usual for short duration outages. I have a well pump and have no water without the generator.:thumbsup:

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #77  
You are right I could stretch my fuel usage out quit a bit. My little 6.5KW diesel generator usually gets about 3 hours to the gallon or a little better and I could shut it down for long stretches through the day but we usually just operate as usual for short duration outages. I have a well pump and have no water without the generator.:thumbsup:

I have a second tank on my well so i can go longer without the generator. The refrigerators need to be run at last 12 hours a day though.

/ Using a generator to power a water well pump #78  
I have a second tank on my well so i can go longer without the generator. The refrigerators need to be run at last 12 hours a day though.

That is my issue too. Though I do not have a reserve water tank. I thought about putting one up on the hill but then I would get into stagnation issues.