anyone order chicks online?

/ anyone order chicks online? #1  

chrisdvorak

Gold Member
Tractor
too many
I am thinking about ordering chicks form McMurray Hatchery (about 25) and was wondering if anyone here has ever ordered any from them, if you have are your chicks still alive and well? I ask this because i know that they have a live ship guarantee but i've heard that they get stressed from transport and die about a week or two later, is that true? oh and i will also be getting the starter kit with heat lamp ect.

/ anyone order chicks online? #2  
Can't help you Chris but when I saw your headline my first thought was that it was probably only legal in Nevada.

/ anyone order chicks online? #4  
Can't help you Chris but when I saw your headline my first thought was that it was probably only legal in Nevada.

I had something similiar come to mind. :eek:

/ anyone order chicks online? #5  
I am thinking about ordering chicks form McMurray Hatchery (about 25) and was wondering if anyone here has ever ordered any from them, if you have are your chicks still alive and well? I ask this because i know that they have a live ship guarantee but i've heard that they get stressed from transport and die about a week or two later, is that true? oh and i will also be getting the starter kit with heat lamp ect.

I have gotten chicks several times from them. I just butchered the Cornish cross about a month ago. The Red brand hens I got are really nice chickens.I am getting 18 to 21 eggs a day from 23 hens. I lost 1 chick and a hen got killed a couple of weeks ago.They always send you one surprise chicken. The last ones I had were Delawares,from them. Locally I can not get the breads I want,so I order from them. They are good to deal with. I guess you alway loose 1 or 2,but on the average have had good luck with them. I have no problem recommending them to you.

/ anyone order chicks online? #6  
I have purchased chicks from them and I would recommend them.

/ anyone order chicks online?
for the other minded:( , i do mean baby chickens or chicks. and how do they send them in the cold? we are having a pretty bad winter and i don't know how they would make it getting here?

/ anyone order chicks online? #8  
I have picked up a few at the local bars and one time at the market. didn't know you could order them on line. :)

/ anyone order chicks online? #9  
I've not ordered from them before, but I have looked through their catalog many times. I believe there are certain times when they don't send chicks, perhaps winter is one of those times? Do you really want chicks now? Spring is a much better time to get chicks. By the time they are getting too big for their brooder, the weather is suitable for them outside. If you get them now you they will outgrow their brooder while it is still winter and you'll have to come up with a way to keep them warm outside or build a bigger enclosure for them inside.

/ anyone order chicks online? #10  
A guy I work with ordered 100 bobwhite from them this year. He was very pleased with them.