Farming Sandy Ground

/ Farming Sandy Ground #1  

GeneD14

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV and an Allis 170, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kubota ZD 1211, Kawasaki Mule 610, 2 Stihl 361's and a Stihl 660 Ported and tuned
I have always managed to live on property that has clay soil. I have a chance to by a property that has very sandy soil. It used to be a melon farm and is partially wooded. It is located in Southern Indiana. The fields have been neglected for years.
My question is: would the open fields grow hay well enough to feed cattle or horses? I have no experience with sandy soil and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Is there anything special that I need to watch out for? Thanks

/ Farming Sandy Ground #2  
Contact the County Extension, or USDA extension for some good help for that area. They are supported by your tax dollars, so you should use their service.
As well, others on the forum may have the information that will help you. :)

/ Farming Sandy Ground #3  
I have always managed to live on property that has clay soil. I have a chance to by a property that has very sandy soil. It used to be a melon farm and is partially wooded. It is located in Southern Indiana. The fields have been neglected for years.
My question is: would the open fields grow hay well enough to feed cattle or horses? I have no experience with sandy soil and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Is there anything special that I need to watch out for? Thanks

We are in Northern Indiana and have several acres of Tyner soil in A, B, C, and D slopes. It is a sandy loam that is highly erodible. The first two years we owned it, we leased it out to a farmer. It did not produce corn very well at all. The farmer said he only planted it because the other couple acres in the field were Adrian muck, which is basically nature's potting soil. He said the only way to make it produce would be to add lots of soil amendments and fertilizers. The state forester surveyed it for us and showed us lots of lichens and mosses and other plant species that were indicitve of poor soil conditions. We planted trees on it and they are doing great.

I suggest you contact your local extension agent and have them analyse the property to tell you the exact soil type or types (we have three types of soil on our 20 acres), what was grown on it in the past, how it did, their suggestions for possible crops, and what yeilds to expect, etc... They will tell you all of this for free. They are paid by your tax dollars, so take advantage of it. That's why you pay taxes in Indiana.

They also have some good forestry and wildlife programs that may interest you. Classified forests and classified wildlife habitats can lessen you tax bill dramatically while you still maintain control of the property. Great programs.

Good luck with your possible purchase. :)

/ Farming Sandy Ground
Thanks for the information. I will contact the county extension for some ideas. :)