Husky Fix

/ Husky Fix #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
I bought a Husky 350 last wood season when my old homelite played out. I noticed I had problems starting it when I was flooring a bridge in the early summer. I was trying to cut up some telephone poles for fence posts a week ago and the thing wouldn't start. It rained out the fencing project and I went to the lake for a few days. I borrowed the bro in-laws and cut enough to keep me in some work.

Anyway I played around with it today and found that the fuel line where it came from the tank and to the carb. was crackedand leaking. I pulled enough line out to fit and re-attached. Pulled twice and it started. It almost became an anchor for the pontoon last week. Question what caused the fuel line break down and should I return it to the place where I got it and ask for a new line?

Patrick

/ Husky Fix #2  
Patrick
The line may have been pinched during assembly.
With a 2-stroke engine a hole in fuel line will allow carburetor to suck air. This can cause engine to run lean. I would take saw back to dealer and have him check it out engine for any damage.

/ Husky Fix #3  
2 summers ago all my 2 cycle engines started having problems running. The fuel lines were brittle and the primer bulbs cracked. While getting new fuel lines, I asked my small engine supplier what might cause that. He said high alcohol levels in the gas would. I quit buying that brand of gas and not had a problem since.

/ Husky Fix #4  
Answer -- Gas.Today's gasoline has about zero shelflife. Anybody who regularily deals with little 2-strokes will tell you to remix your gas on a weekly, or at most, bi-weekly basis. The additives and combinations the EPA now requires for emissions are fairly unstable, and a week of sitting in your garage quickly degrades them. I've even had batch batches of fuel right from the pump. When they degrade, you can end up with all sorts of wierd chemistry that not only degrades performance, but attacks plastics and rubbers.I run 2-cycle fuel fairly constant through the year -- all summer in the Shindaiwa trimmer, and all winter in my 2 Huskies and my brother-in-law's Stihl. We started using only premium fuel [burns cooler], and mixing it with either Husky or Stihl oil once a week, and they all start after 2 or 3 pulls, and run all day at WOT [the only way to run a 2-cycle].If you really want to learn the intracies of saws, chains and 2-cycles, spend some time over at the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arboristsite.com>Arborist Site</A>. Look for John up in Canada, and Walt Galer, who worked for many years for Oregon chain. They've got more hours on saws than I could ever imagine, and I think Walt has forgot more about saws then we'll ever learn. Lots and lots of good info there, but the bottom line is I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that bad gas cracked your fuel line.Best Regards,Jay

/ Husky Fix
I suspect that gas had something to do with it, especially since it had several cracks in the bend. Haven't had a chance to stop at the dealer but I did stop at another dealer to ask about a new gas line. He said he would have to oder one and I had to have the model number and information off the saw for the correct line

I have been stuck at the lake for 2 days on a pontoon with a flat tire on the trailer. If it has tires make sure you own a spare! And make sure it is not dry rotted!

Ron I didn't think about the damage to the engine I'll be sure to ask.

Thanks,
Patrick