not cheap, but should solve water leak problems

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
"http://www.flologic.com/Automatic-Water-Shutoff-System.html#system_documentation"

this is exactly what i have been wanting to build for the last 10+ years: until recenly i couldn't find anything that gave an indication of water flow: i put an electric solenoid on my place several years ago: so i can flip a switch an shut the water off: NOW i find this..way to pricey, but a great idea.
heehaw

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems #2  
I install sewage lift pumps and recently put two on a college rental project. I put a float switch and solenoid valve on each apartment building. I used a lawn sprinkler valve. It has worked perfectly. Within a month of startup, the little darlings completely packed the pump with paper towels. The alarm sounded and the water to the building shut down. No damage to the basement units. I also use the same valves on dentist offices so they can shut the water off to all the equipment with a switch, as they exit the building each night.

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems
the price of this unit just seems to be about 50% higher than i would think it should be?? but then its the only one on the market i have found, so i guess they can charge what ever they want.:
heehaw

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems #4  
I looked at the price again. I have about $15 in a transformer , $29 in a solenoid valve and $30 for the float switch. There is some wire and labor ,but yea $1,100 and shipping is a "bit" high.

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems #6  
On my rental that is pump equipped, I simply ran the pump circuit to the entry closet and installed a cutoff switch.
Instructions are to switch off the pump when tennants are absent.
This limits water damage to one tank full of water (pressurized water, or maybe 10 gals)

I had a flood that ran into complete interior rebuild as the pump toiled away for one week!
Insurance did cover everything!

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems #7  
I did a tenant improvement for a dentist and installed a solenoid valve with a switch at the door. It shut down the water like Kays said. I now recommend them for every water system I do. Water can really cause a lot of damage and the solenoid valve is cheap.

Cary :cool:

/ not cheap, but should solve water leak problems
i tried lawn sprinkler valves first: an they started leaking within a couple months: i was using them to keep my critters in fresh water: they would come on for 2 minutes every day: after a couple months, i noticed the faucet leaking constantly: so i went to the solenoid setup i use now: from a poultry supply house here in town: cost more but have used it for several years an it hasn't failed in any way....so far...
heehaw