Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford-Old-was dad's

Default How low can propane get and still run?

I called last Saturday for plenty of lead time to fill our propane tank. Today its down to 16%, never had it that low before. I checked yesterday and she said I was on the list, but still no fill. My husband, said it can get to 10% and still work, is that right? We have been with this company for 20 years and they have never let us run out. I figure everybody jumped in with this cold spell hitting and are running out so calling. We only have to fill 3 or 4 times a year and I'm sure many buy the minimum 100 gallons so have to fill more often. Just wondering as I'm getting nervous. We heat, have hot water, and cook off propane so could get mighty cold. Right now our motorhome is being remodeled so we have most of the inside out, kind of hard to stay in it if necessary. Was 27 here north of Houston last night.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Default Re: How low can propane get and still run?

not sure, i would imagine it will keep pumping out until its empty. I have done that once, but we have a wood stove and i was able to cook dinner on that until they filled us up.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

We've been as low as 8 or 9%. Still, get 'er done!!
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford-Old-was dad's

Default How low can propane get and still function?

I called on Saturday to make sure we got a delivery yesterday hopefully or today. I checked yesterday and she said we were on the list.

Ok, this morning tank is down to 16%, never had it this low before. Hubby said we can use it to 10%, I have no idea. I'm going to call again as its close to 11 and no delivery yet.

We have been with this company for 20 years and never ran out, hope this won't be the first time. I only get 3 or 4 full tanks a year. I know their minimum is 100 gallons and I'm sure people get that and need multiple fills. I'm getting nervous, as its durn cold, we heat water, cook, and heat our house with it. So how low can it go?

Tractor
    Jinma 284

the propane can get very low, BUT there is danger of flash back into the lines if the tank gets out so I've been told. I too have propane tank and 10% is where the company says it getting to the danger zone as it can/could take a lot of days to get out to fill it up. I fill mine up not as often as you do and only heat & cook with it. I been looking into wood heat at my place as I have plenty to burn...

I'm builidng new place and it will have wood heat with propane backup.
    mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Default Re: How low can propane get and still function?

We heat with propane and went down to around 9% once and it still worked. From what I understand the colder it gets, the more volume you need to build the same gas pressure, so 10% at -40F might not work while 10% at 0F probably would.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

As mrennie pointed out, and at your mild temps "Near Houston", you needn't worry yet. You should be ok.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Actually it would depend on the tank size 10% of a 500 gallon tank is a sizable volume it just depends on your tank.

10% of a 500 gallon tank would be roughly 2 100 pound cylinders.

You can run down to 0 but usually the gauges aren't that accurate!

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
    Actually it would depend on the tank size 10% of a 500 gallon tank is a sizable volume it just depends on your tank.

10% of a 500 gallon tank would be roughly 2 100 pound cylinders.

tom
    I agree, tank size is a big factor here. Call your supplier.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Carolyn
    Is there any reason you don't post in the same thread as the other propane question?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/160927-how-low-can-propane-get.html

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast