Global Warming News

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming News #31  
The tree topic has too many variables for me to understand it one way or another. When I find out that I'm being lied to and misled on part of it, then I tend to doubt all of it. One of the things that has come out lately is that the deforested parts of the Amazon are reforesting themselvs faster then the trees are disapearing. It turns out that the soil isn't very good for farming, and the trees sprout and grow at an incredible rate. While deforestation is a real issue there, the demand is down and keeping the land open has become impossible. I myself have a similar problem. I clear an area of my land, then it becomes a constant battle to keep the trees from taking it back. If I don't mow it several times a year, it's full of trees again. Here, trees are worse then weeds!!!

Where I'm from in California, the towns and homeowners have planted so many trees that there was actually talk about removing them because it took too much water to keep them alive. Granted, the trees that we're talking about are not native trees, but ornamental ones that are planted for looks or shade. The original landscape before the towns came up didn't have very many trees. It was mostly scrub type grow with allot of open land. Early pictures prove this, and were used in the debate to remove the trees. Some cities like Berkley actually cut down trees along the streets because of this, but then had to go back and replant them because of complaints. Berkly is weird that way. LOL

Another big factor in trying to understand how many trees there are now compared to before is the impact of forrest fires. We control the fires and limit them to some degree. Before, they were very common and were a big factor in keeping the land open. The Mule Deer is in decline across the Rocky Mountains. There are several factors that are said to be causing this. Human ecroachment, expansion of the whitetail and supprsion of forest fires. There are too many trees, and they are affecting the habitat of the Mule Deer.

Eddie

/ Global Warming News #32  
I did look up forest land compared to 1600 and today. There was 1billion acres of forest in the US, now there is 700million acres. The biggest loss is on the eastern coast. Now this does not seem to be much loss, but take population into account. In 1600 there would have been 50+acres of forest for every person, compared to today at only 2.3 acres for each person. This only cover the US I can only imagine where the rest of the world stands, england would be a good example or india or japan or......... 50 acres could build some nice homes, 2.3 acres would not be enough for a garage. Of course luckily we have other building materials at hand, but at what cost?

/ Global Warming News #33  
... Where I'm from in California, the towns and homeowners have planted so many trees that there was actually talk about removing them because it took too much water to keep them alive. ....

Eddie

South Africa had a forestation program years ago. The problem they ran into was that, surprise, the trees starting sucking up all of the water. Surface water started to disappear so they starting cutting down the trees they had planted. :eek:

I can tell at my place when the trees stop drinking water in the fall. I try very hard to keep the tractor out of the woods during the winter because the soil is so wet and I can really make a mess as well as compact and rut up the soil. Once the leaves are on the trees in the spring I am good to go since the trees are sucking up the water again.

Later,
Dan

/ Global Warming News #34  
Sorry to stear away from the original post, the lies of global warming. I do agree 100% that we are lied to every day by corporategovernment{I use this as one word because that is what it is!}. It is a shame that we were lied to, because now most folks won't even consider the real issues at hand. Every time something about nature or environment comes up it will be washed to the back of the sink.

/ Global Warming News #35  
Climate Change, we used to call it weather! That was before the Kool Aid Drinkers found a new reason to hate the rest of us that are normal.
I wonder how they did aerial surveys in the 1600's to count the trees?

/ Global Warming News #36  
Wow! This topic makes people a bit loopy. And they will actually write their thoughts down for all the world to read:eek:
Tractors anyone?

/ Global Warming News #37  
Climate Change, we used to call it weather! That was before the Kool Aid Drinkers found a new reason to hate the rest of us that are normal.
I wonder how they did aerial surveys in the 1600's to count the trees?

Covered themselves in tar, applied feathers, and flapped away.

The hard part was holding the piece of chalk and the small black board while trying to write down the count while flapping the arms at the same time. Ye had to be quick back then..... And strong.

Later,
Dan

/ Global Warming News #38  
I did look up forest land compared to 1600 and today. There was 1billion acres of forest in the US, now there is 700million acres.

And your point is?

Back in 1400 (IIRC), Greenland was truly GREEN with forests and pastures. Then it cooled off. Mankind didn't cause that change.

While your figures about the eastern U.S. are probably true, if you go back 150 years, there is actually much more forest in the eastern U.S. today than there was 150 years ago.

There is also much more forest today in the eastern U.S. than there was 10,000 years ago.

Ken

/ Global Warming News #39  
My other concern is with the population, some say the planet can handle 12billion. since the mid 80's we've grown from 4.5billion to 7 billion. It took us millions of years to reach a million. I would say we are allready maxed out, but I do not see a slow down in site. With population comes more waste and abuse of the planet. How much abuse can our little house handle before the walls just simply blow out?

I do agree that population growth is the biggest risk to the globe and humanity. Wars are also brought on by population growth.

How much can the earth sustain? I don't think there is a good answer. Technology keeps improving. Back in the 70's, there were dire predictions that we would not be able to feed the world in 20 years. Today, we are producing more food from less land (and there is more idle farmland today than there was 30 or 50 years ago.)

Oh, and my favorite warning from the 70's: The earth's oil supplies will be totally exhausted in ten years (from a U.S. Cabinet officer).

Ken

/ Global Warming News #40  
Please read this article. Dr Neil Frank was formerly the Head of the National Hurricane Center, retired and for a number of years was the senior weatherman at a Houston TV station. I always paid more attention to his forecasts than anyone's else.

This is a, to my mind, reasoned response to "climate gate".

Climategate: You should be steamed | Viewpoints, Outlook | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

This quote from the article is in line with what I have been thinking. "We are being told that numerical models that cannot make accurate 5- to 10-day forecasts can be simplified and run forward for 100 years with results so reliable you can impose an economic disaster on the U.S. and the world."

That says it all.

Vernon

Status
Not open for further replies.