Solar Electric Fence Question

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
After fatting the deer up for the last couple of years with a couple thousand pumpkins, watermelon, cataloupe I have decide to fence about 3 acers with electric fence. Most likely two strands wire and 2-3 strands of bailing twine. May actually use two fences with one 3-4 foot inside the other. Deer have trouble judging depth and are not as apt to jump it. We took 4 deer during hunting season:D have about 20 more to go:(.

I have looked at these at TSC Tractor Supply Company - Electric Fence Solar-Powered Controllers and also looked at some at my local farm dealer. Prices for 6 volt 3 mile run $100.00 -$180.00. 12 vlot, 10 mile run around $350.

Anyone here have a solar powered electric fence? If so how do you like it, what suggestions do you have?

Also what about the charge controlers...are they really needed? Prices run $30.00 to $119.00.

I don't know much about electric fences, always used barbed wire and woven.

Thanks
David

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #2  
I have several ParMak solar chargers and they work great. I have also used several 110V units and prefer solar because they're easier to deploy in more remote locations. Make sure the solar panels face south and install a good ground.

For years I have been struggling to find the ideal fence material:

Steel wire is strongest and cheapest but rusts and eventually has to be replaced because rust is an insulator and it doesn't deliver as much of a shock.

Aluminum wire is at least $3x steel and while it doesn't rust it does stretch and breaks easier.

Neither of these is very easy to see - we have horses and visibility is important.

Various stainless-impregnated rope/twine solutions are easy to see but splicing is more difficult because you have to isolate the indiviual conducting strands and make sure they're well connected. Also stretches and sags quite a bit.

Haven't treid any of the 'electric tapes' but I expect they behave like rope.

But on the whole, I like the ParMak chargers and i will probably go AL for the mateiral in the future. Get ready for constant maintenance - breaks, shorts against nails and underbrush, trees, etc. For me I'm an Amateur Radio operator so whenever i hear pops on the radio I know it's time to walk the fence-line!

-Brian

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #3  
i have a 25 mile solar fence charger and 2 strand electric tape, it works great the day i bought i had it sitting in the barn and the battery was empty, and it was fully charged the next day! i can post pics if you want

/ Solar Electric Fence Question
Where did you buy that brand? I travel a lot and in SC often. Tell me more about the grounding. Does it matter if I mount it to a wood or metal post since it seems to be incased in plastic?

i have a 25 mile solar fence charger and 2 strand electric tape, it works great the day i bought i had it sitting in the barn and the battery was empty, and it was fully charged the next day! i can post pics if you want

Great! Post some pics. I think the 3 mile will work for me but may go with the 10 mile.

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #6  
i have a metal ground rod that was 8ft when i bought it but i had to cut it down some but it works great and seems to power the tape very well, i do not know however if you can use wood as your ground

Attachments

• DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    966.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 107
   / Solar Electric Fence Question #7  
this is what it powers by the way

Attachments

• DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 129
i have a metal ground rod that was 8ft when i bought it but i had to cut it down some but it works great and seems to power the tape very well, i do not know however if you can use wood as your ground

Chris,

Thanks for the pics! I was not going to use wood as the ground just to mount it on. If I mount on a metal t-post I assume I could use it as the ground since the unit is plastic cased.

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #9  
I use Parmak solar and battery powered chargers. They work great. The battery powered one will run 3-4 months on a fully charged deep cycle battery.
My solar works fine, too, but you eventually have to deal with battery replacement with it. I've found it easier (and cheaper) to use the deep cycle battery and monitor it. The fence can be dead for several weeks and the animals will stay away from it if they are conditioned to it.

Be sure everybody knows how to bring the power down in an emergency and put signs in areas where neighboring adults or children might be present.

This site has a lot of good info: 17 Mistakes To Avoid With Electric Fencing Be sure to pay attention to the grounding section and the training of the animals.

/ Solar Electric Fence Question #10  
I have had 2 Parmaks. They work well, when they work. My "current" one stopped working, I bought a new battery and that didn't fix it. It was still under warranty (just) and I sent it back. Parmak quickly replaced the curcuit board and sent it back; works just fine now.

Solar is nice because it is free and works when the power is out. Kentucky had a BIG ice storm last winter and many people were without power for weeks. Today the power went off for a few minutes (probably because snow is forcast; not a flake has fallen). There is enought to worry about when the grid goes down without worrying that your animals will take advantage.