This will be a very sad year

/ This will be a very sad year #11  
i think youll like IL.

Better weather and great land.

/ This will be a very sad year #12  
I'm in Ohio now where I started out as a kid, love it here though job market is tough. homes prices and taxes are not that bad. lived around USA though, I would think about the RV thing and is kind of my plan when I get a few more years on me and the property values come back well enough to make something on my place when I do sell. looking at 15 years now and done working at that point and going to live in the national parks in a RV/Truck Trailer after that until I cant drive then I'll park it in someplace warm & isolated and become a hermit lol.

I know ILL has a LOT of problems I would think hard about staying in TX or if you want to still do some kind of work and like open spaces then think about Montana areas and look at a few of the Government sites you can get land in those upper areas pretty cheap and have lots of roaming areas. may have to drive a couple hrs on back woods roads to get anyplace though..

regardless be kind and try & enjoy life for all it has.

Mark

/ This will be a very sad year #13  
2008 and 2009 will go down as disappointments for many...

Back in 1997, I made some investments in commercial property geared towards future retirement income... things were on track and progressing nicely... 1998 was to be the year all the investors got 100% of the their initial cash back... well, we all know what happened... instead of getting money back... had to scrape to put more money in to keep it afloat.

Employment is sketchy at best... just got word the company is changing hands and employees are encouraged to apply for their old positions... could be worse.

Sometimes, I think if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck.

All those from my High School class that went into law enforcement, right out of high school are sitting pretty... I decided to get my degree first so they had 4 years head start... one guy, a nice guy at that, just retired with 180k pension plus medical for life from the city police department... others are in the 120 to 140k range...

Dad always told us kids to work for the goverment... I tried repeatedly back in 1981-83... just bad timing on my part due the biggest recession then since the Great Depression.

My Grandfather always said... Chin Up, better days are coming...

/ This will be a very sad year #14  
Don't want to pry - but can you sell off part of the ranch, along with your current home and still stick with your plan - but with less acreage?

/ This will be a very sad year #15  
I retired a couple of years ago, in great anticipation of what's ahead in retirement. We intended to sell our house near Tomball, TX, and build on my small acreage near Trinity, TX. Over the last couple of years, the economy went bust, our daughter had a divorce, loosing my son-in-laws help, and other obstacles have gotten in the way. The short of it, we have decided to sell not only the ranch but our house too and relocate to Illinois, where we lived some 20+ years ago.

I understand not being able to build on your retirement property, but why the move back to Illinois?

/ This will be a very sad year
The ranch has turned out to be something I like, but no one else does. I'm more like a hermit. I get there and don't want to go anywhere. For others it's not like that. The physical work related to it, I actually enjoy, others think I'm destined for a heart attack....my be true. I do know...it's really be hard on my joints. Got pains now I didn't have 2 years ago. I need to add some infrastructure and fencing to the ranch to make it work for me, and I have neither the manpower or the money to get it, so the end of that appears to me neccessary.

Illinois is 'home' to my wife and daughter, and the desire to build out there has become only my plan. Add in the finances of it, a decision of some sort is needed. So....Illinois it is. SE Missouri...is a consideration also.

/ This will be a very sad year
How about Perryville? It's just across the bridge from Chester.

It's close to Cape but still pretty rural. Not sure what you are looking for but this looks promising if you still want a little land to fool around on.

Perryville Home for Sale, Missouri. Homes for Sale Perryville, MO 63775.

Right now, I'm hoping to find 50-75 acres, would like more, but the $$$$ limits what we can get. So your 2 1/2 acres isn't what we are looking for right now.

Actually the area from Perryville down to Cape will be something we will consider. We are in the process of looking at that area. We have relatives scattered over southern Illinois, but specifically in Chester and Pickneyville Illinois.