This will be a very sad year

/ This will be a very sad year #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I retired a couple of years ago, in great anticipation of what's ahead in retirement. We intended to sell our house near Tomball, TX, and build on my small acreage near Trinity, TX. Over the last couple of years, the economy went bust, our daughter had a divorce, loosing my son-in-laws help, and other obstacles have gotten in the way. The short of it, we have decided to sell not only the ranch but our house too and relocate to Illinois, where we lived some 20+ years ago.

I have real mixed feelings about this, since I doubt I'll find property in Illinois that I will be content with, but I must admit, finances dictates we make a change. It has gotten very frustrating knowing what you want to do, but simply don't have the manpower or money to get it that way. Home has all the details. Besides the land, there is tractors, trailers, UTV and cows, household items, and later on our residence.. If anyone in my area is interested in any of the items, let me know. Be kind if you contact me. I'm usually fairly easy to get along with, but right now, I really am that grumpy old man.

/ This will be a very sad year #2  
Wow, sorry to hear that. Although Illinois has a LOT more people than our little state of NH, there's also still some nice rural space around, too, IIRC. Hope for the best!

/ This will be a very sad year #3  
Jerry, I'm sorry to hear of the bad turn of events that made this decision necessary. Your farm property sure looks to be in an ideal location within driving distance of several metro areas and yet very rural. I like the Google Earth view, but if you could add a link to a Google Map, people could zoom and pan around for better views and use Google Earth to their advantage. They may be able to figure this out, but everything you do to make it easy for them will pay off.

This is a considerable amount of money for just the property as you well know. Are you advertising in all the major metro areas? I would put an add in the Houston and Dallas Craigslist on a weekly basis with a link to your website. I just sold a property from almost exclusive adds on Craigslist. Also, if you have minerals with the property, I'd say that in every add posted. Minerals are very important to people as are easements and restrictions.

Good luck in whatever you do. This is a hard decision and one that entails a lot of work. Your nerves will get tested many times before all settles out. Just be sure to always do what is best for you and your wife. You've worked hard all your life for this time in retirement. Don't rob yourself of the opportunity to enjoy it.

/ This will be a very sad year #4  
That is a drag. I love the ranch, I wish I lived in Texas as the price seems darn good for what I am used too up here. (Frankly I think I'd like living in Texas from what I hear).

Best of luck, this is a stressful change but in time you will be fine. The trick is getting through it.

/ This will be a very sad year #5  
Looks like life in this world is throeing a monkey wrench to your retirement plans.A very difficult situation your in.I hope this advice helps.Thank the good
Lord every day for him and what he has done for you all of your life.Ask for
wisdom and direction every day.Has helped me in my life

/ This will be a very sad year #6  
Don't go back to Illinois! Check out land in SouthEast Missouri

Illinois is suffering from the Rod Bagorvich era, high taxes that are out of control, gas always costs at least 10 cents a gallon more in IL. You can't own a handgun, it goes on and on.

/ This will be a very sad year #7  
Sorry to hear your plans have taken a new turn. I wish you the best of luck in getting resituated. I'm sure you have thought it through, but it never hurts to revisit some decisions. Don't be too hasty. Maybe take the RV and go full timing for a while :) Illinois isn't going anywhere soon.

Dave.

/ This will be a very sad year #8  
Jerry, I have to say I'm sorry to hear that you are having to make this move that you did not want. Circumstances changed and you are adapting. One thing that comes through loud and clear in reading your post and looking at your site is you are obviously a person who takes charge and can make a hard decision even in adverse circumstances. Your family is lucky to have you to rely on during these times. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I second what jinman said. Almost anyone looking at rural property now is interested in available minerals, easements and restrictions.

/ This will be a very sad year #9  
Your better off staying in Texas. I live in Illinois the state is an absolute mess. High taxes on everything the state is bankrupt, out of control corruption is rampant in state government. The state government has almost ran all businesses out of the state. Every time you turn around there is another fee increase (more taxes) this just makes everything else cost more. If it wasn't for family I would have moved out of state along time ago. Texas looks like the place to be.

I wish you the best, and hope everything turns out OK.

/ This will be a very sad year #10  
Looks like a lovely place you have. I can't imagine how hard it will be. Good luck to you!