Frozen log DULL a chain?

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #11  
Thats a good idea jin-man i just put one into my saw bucket.

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #12  
If you are not careful while sharpening, you can overheat the chain and they will not stay sharp for very long afterward.
Dave

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #13  
Dead or dried oak is rough on chains. See if the saw has an adjustable oiler and crank it up if it does. I keep mine at max all the time.

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #14  
If you are not careful while sharpening, you can overheat the chain and they will not stay sharp for very long afterward.
Dave

Generally, the heat that ruins chains (in my experience) is from continuing to use a chain and force it into the cut long, long after it is so dull that it will barely make dust. At least those are the ones my FIL gives me to try to sharpen;-)

- Jay

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #15  
Part of the reason that i hand file my chains is that i noticed that when i used the grinder the chains became dull much quicker. Is that my fault for grinding too long? could be, but to me it stays sharper longer and if i sharpen it every time i fill up the tank. Plus i get to rest and keep the blade nice and sharp. If i wait to use the bench grinder i really wait and the blade gets very dull.

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #16  
Part of the reason that i hand file my chains is that i noticed that when i used the grinder the chains became dull much quicker. Is that my fault for grinding too long? could be, but to me it stays sharper longer and if i sharpen it every time i fill up the tank. Plus i get to rest and keep the blade nice and sharp. If i wait to use the bench grinder i really wait and the blade gets very dull.

The problem with most of the cheaper grinders are they are high speed and low torque. They attempt to gain torque with rpm's. Expensive grinders ($400 and up) can turn more slowly but maintain enough push thru the sharpening process so they do not bog down. It is the heat from the speed of the grinding wheel that you are noticing and to mitigate some of that heat, use a cool stick lubricant crayon. I tried putting a rheostat on my sharpener to slow it down but it did not have enough omph. I can guarantee you hit some dirt or a pebble clinging to the ice on the reverse side of that log. Near the base of the tree, you can run the chance of dirt actually being in the tree from rot and mice can then bring all sorts of mineral debris inside. Happens to me all the time. Also, I concur with the previous poster that Stihl is one of the best chains available. Husqvarna is one of the softest and is prone to dulling quicker in dead wood. Carlton used to be a superb chain but they are about a step up from Oregon presently.

/ Frozen log DULL a chain? #17  
In addition to what everyone else has said, Oak is dirty to begin with. We don't have much up here anyway but have to get advance permission at the local pulp mill if we want to send them load with a high oak percentage. (It sure burns good though.)