Piebald Deer ?

/ Piebald Deer ? #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
My cousin sent me the picture of what he called a piebald deer..supposed to be rare to see.

Attachments

• Piebald deer.jpg
    Piebald deer.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2,652
   / Piebald Deer ? #2  
That's really kewl. I have never seen a true piebald deer, I have seen a couple with slight color variations though. Interesting it is/was illegal to harvest one, if seen, in Texas..

/ Piebald Deer ? #3  
I've seen one solid white and one with brown spots like a hound or bird dog. I don't think a white would last long around here being so visible and people thinking they are defective in some way and want to get them out of the gene pool.

/ Piebald Deer ? #4  
We had a doe like that on my property for over five years -she usually had twin fawns of regular colour. Although legal to shoot around here, a lot of hunters refrain believing it is bad luck. SWIMBO named her Phoebe and she was quite tame- I think one of my neighbours shot her two seasons ago:(:(
We also had a completely white buck but he did manage to stay unseen for long periods -- have not seen him in a couple of years either.:mad:

/ Piebald Deer ? #5  
Several are reported taken each hunting season in WI. I've never seen one in the 47 years I've hunted whitetails.

/ Piebald Deer ? #6  
I never have seen one like that but when I was a teenager we had a big buck that was almost black the only white I ever saw on him was was his tail, even his belly wasn't white.

/ Piebald Deer ? #7  
I've never seen one either.

I know that they are protected in some states, but it's a state by state rule.

Great picture, thanks for sharing.

Eddie

/ Piebald Deer ? #8  
I've never heard of them being protected anywhere. We had one every year or two killed on my hunting club growing up, and I know of a fella's got a small doe in a full mount that's almost got that much white on her.

That girl's tail looks longer than normal too.

/ Piebald Deer ? #9  
We had one running around. Hasn't been seen since 12/30/2009. Someone might have shot it, got hit by a car, died naturally. Who knows. Bit of a bummer. We all liked spotting it. It was the talk included in almost every conversation. Who spotted it, where it was. Where was it going. Who's field was it grazing at. Who's feeder it was at. Sadden by it being gone for now. :(

/ Piebald Deer ? #10  
We see piebalds around here usually each year. My friend had one live on his farm for quite a few years before it was hit and killed on the road. We were right there and were heading to the taxidermist for an unrelated reason and called our DEC friend and told him to leave the tag for it at our house. Took it to the taxidermist and when we got home we have the possesion tag hanging on our door to be able to keep it. It now is a standing full mount stored in my house but we take it to display at hunting and trapping shows for others to see.