where are the coyotes?

/ where are the coyotes? #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
Where to the coyotes go in the summer? Haven't heard any since winter. Also, what are the best times and what are some good techniques for hunting coyotes? I 'd like to cut their numbers as much as possible!

/ where are the coyotes? #2  
Danny, We hunt them at first or last light, or at night. We use rabbit distress calls that work quite well. Best time is in the dead of a hard winter, when food is hard for them to find. I use a 225 Rem. to take them out. Lots of fun on a cold moon filled night! Around here in NY there is a season for them, in your state it may be different.

/ where are the coyotes?
Von - So, I assume they stay deep in the woods in the summer and come out more in the winter to look for food? I've already checked the regulations and they're fair game any time of the year here in Indiana, no license required, since they're considered nuisance animals. Where did you get your rabbit distress calls?

/ where are the coyotes? #4  
Danny:
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in northern Ca. coyotes are out at all times of the day and night and any time of the year. There is no season. Last evening about 6:00 pm I went out to the garage and while passing through the breezeway I glanced down toward the pond on the neighbors property and there was a three point (western count) buck laying under the trees in the shade. It was about 98 degrees at the time so he was soaking up shade. I watched him for about 20 minutes and went and got my range finder to see how far off he was. While looking through the range finder, something caught my eye and when I looked out in the field below the pond there was a large coyote just trotting across the field toward the pond. Anticipating some action when said coyote met up with said three pointer I ran back to the garage and got the binoculars again. I then watched the coyote trot up the hill about 30 yards above the buck. The whole time the buck never looked in the coyote's direction nor did the coyote acknowledge the prescence of the buck. The coyote continued up and over the hill out of sight. I found it hard to believe that one of those animals didn't scent the other and I don't think they even saw each other even though they were within plain sight of each other. Maybe he wasn't hungry or the buck was to big for just one to mess with. The buck stayed in his bed for another forty five minutes before finally moseying off. (little play on words there). I have a friend that is a county trapper and he used a squeaker that sounded like a wounded rabbit to call coyotes close enough to use a shotgun on them. I have seen eight coyotes on my place since I have been here but as I don't have any livestock I haven't bothered to shoot them. It seems right around a full moon the coyotes will sound off for about 10 seconds on one night or early morning and then they are silent until the next month. By the way, the buck was 542 feet away. I knew you were waiting for the results of the range finder.
PK

/ where are the coyotes? #5  
Why do you want to 'cut their numbers as much as possible?' What do they hurt? Coyotes main diet in my area (according to a friend who is a student of animals) is mice. They'll eat anything, of course, but mice are #1. I have never heard of a coyote taking on a buck deer.

/ where are the coyotes? #6  
WHY- Why- Why ???
Ifin you really wanta cut the number of coyotes import some wolves.
Egon

/ where are the coyotes? #7  
<font color=blue>Why do you want to 'cut their numbers as much as possible?' What do they hurt?</font color=blue>

Coyotes could be dangerous if they become rabid. Where I live, some rabid ones I've heard about have been known to attack and/or kill sheep, house pets, small game animals, small heifers, and there's a danger they could attack small children playing in the back yard. Usually, coyates are shy and will scatter at first sight of humans. When rabid, they lose their fear and become quite unpredictable and dangerous.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ where are the coyotes? #8  
What do coyotes hurt? Well, in south Ark. the rabbit population has decreased almost to the point of being non-existent over the past couple of decades while the coyote population has continued to grow over the same period of time. When I was a kid I saw rabbits all the time. Now as an adult I rarely see one. I never saw or heard a coyote when I was a kid. Now they are everywhere. Yet even as the coyote population grows I have seen no reduction in the mouse population.

I used to love to hunt rabbits but I guess since there are hardly any left, and since the coyotes don't seem to be makng a dent in the mouse population maybe I could hunt mice instead. But hey, what do they hurt? Why would I want to cut their numbers when they don't eat much and they sure can't take down a buck deer.

/ where are the coyotes? #9  
The coyotes are still around, but there is alot more cover for them. I have often seen several coyotes laying in the sun with deer not 30 yards away and neither was really concerned about the other. I try to keep coyotes down because they really cut into the pheasants around my place. Not as much as skunks, coon and possum, but enough to make a difference. If they get bad or you want to be less sporting make a small pyramid of hay bales out in a field where they run and they will sit on top to get a better view and you get a better shot.

/ where are the coyotes? #10  
Bob, kinda like humans, although humans are much meaner even when not rabid. I'd have to say after all the child kidnappings, humans have to be the most dangerous predator on earth. The coyotes in my area have a diet of voles, the rabbits are doing real well. Rat...