Tire Chain question

/ Tire Chain question #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Ok.. help me out here..

My tractor tire is 31x12-16.5 - and I have not been able to find tire chains for that exact size.. From another post i found out that the size I needed was 12-16.5

Looking at several different sites I found tire chains and tire cables in that size - either for LT trucks/suv OR ag machinery/skid steers

What is the difference between the chains for an LT pickup truck and a skid steer?

We normally only get deep snows every few years (but if predictions go as planned, we will be getting our 2nd 12" snow in 6 wks), and I only plow a handful of neighbors driveways, could I get by with a light duty set of chains?

thanks

Brian

/ Tire Chain question #2  
Never looked at chains for a skid loader. Chains for most equipment will have a heavier diameter link and/or different cross section patterns. LT truck chains are sold mainly plain link or "V-bar" link. I used a set of light truck chains on the front of a compact tractor for many years. The tires would still slip but I could generally get my snow moved. Perhaps a heavier chain with a better bite would only have been harder on the tractor.

Have you tried this site?I bought a couple of sets from them. Give them a call to see if they can fix you up.

/ Tire Chain question #3  
... if predictions go as planned, we will be getting our 2nd 12" snow in 6 wks...

A bit off topic here, but you're lucky to have a weather service that can predict snow storms 6 weeks in advance! :) Ours can't even get it right 3 days in advance:p.

/ Tire Chain question #4  
What about "tracks" for your skid steer?? I've seen them in use here. Not sure how they go on but it looked like they where just placed over the tires, looked like a little dozer.

The one I was watching had rubber tracks and was doing surprising well in the mud..

/ Tire Chain question #5  
I'm not sure about the skid steer chains but I took a set of 15" v bar chains for 1/2 ton vans or trucks....I believe they were 9or 11 links across removed the end and then took and used grinder cut another cross link at 4-5 and welded that piece to the first one... Been using these chains going on 4 or winters...

The basic chains from JD lasted 2 winters may have lasted 3 but they would have been needing a complete overhaul..