Homebuilt snow sleds?

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #1  

2manyrocks

The Mrs. broke the kid's plastic snow sled this last snow. I haven't found a place that has any sleds in stock. I found a pair old snow skis at the thrift store and started thinking that there must be a way to build a snow sled and use these skis as runners. I've been trying to think through how to build one that doesn't weigh a ton and has some flexibility to absorb shocks. Any suggestions how to make a sled?

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #2  
Tractor innertube works great, old car hood, plastic bin, trash can lid, etc

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #3  
Cafeteria trays.

Cardboard boxes.

Thick plastic trash bag.

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #4  
Flexability is over-rated in sledges.

Go simple, use a hefty slab of plywood and space it off the skiis with 2 lengths of timber (2"x4" cross section) whack it all together with some woodscrews, and bear in mind that you're going to launch your kids downhill on a terrifyingly fast device. :D

Something like this?

http://blog.makezine.com/skisled.jpg

/ Homebuilt snow sleds?
Yes, something like that except our broken plastic sled is just round and isn't like the one in the picture. I've trying to decide between the plywood base as suggested here versus using a lightweight lawn chair. I was sort of hoping for one of those designs that makes a person say, "why didn't I think of that in the first place?"

So how fast is terrifyingly fast?

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #6  
Yeah Trayin, Baby! stole them from work cafeteria and had a park next door (stoney creek metropark) with a good hill. Great coworker activity esp. with grand marnier.

only the plastic sleds seem to do good in fresh snow, IMO

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #7  
We have a wood sled that was made from a pair of skis and a leftover piece of laminated truss (OSB in the middle, 1.5" plywood on the top and bottom) that is on its side. No springiness to it and if we were to do it again, I would raise the body from the skis 2-4 more inches as it has a tendency to wallow in soft snow, but overall it works well as a chore sled. It hauls loads of firewood, bales of hay, buckets of water and bags of grain. It is almost indestructible.

Aaron Z

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #8  
Yes, something like that except our broken plastic sled is just round and isn't like the one in the picture. I've trying to decide between the plywood base as suggested here versus using a lightweight lawn chair. I was sort of hoping for one of those designs that makes a person say, "why didn't I think of that in the first place?"

So how fast is terrifyingly fast?

Fast enough to put chunks of lawn chair thru flesh if the hill is somewhat steep and a crash ensues. When I was about 14 or so I made a sled and ended up with a piece of wood 6 1/2" into my hip.

Also, make sure that the rider will be sitting with some weight over those skis or they won't steer worth a darn (if you opt for steering capabilities). That was another sled and another crash, but I walked away from that one. :D

/ Homebuilt snow sleds? #9  
Fast enough to put chunks of lawn chair thru flesh if the hill is somewhat steep and a crash ensues.

Absoloutly. Steer well clear of plastic chairs, and anything that can break into sharp points. Also avoid anthing that constrains someone in an upright sitting position. Dangerous for backs.:eek:

Ply, and a slab of carved foam for a seat maybe? Keeps arses warm: never a bad thing.
:D

/ Homebuilt snow sleds?
Okay, makes sense to do something to lay on.

While looking for some ideas to make it steerable, I saw some snow bike conversions and some wild videos. A snow bike actually looks easier to make, but I think it would get somebody hurt.