Question about the unloading of my new 40' container

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #1  

04honda

I have purchased a new 40' standard container and I am now awaiting the delivery. I would like to eventually put it on some RR ties or treated 8X8's. until then I don't want it to sit on the ground. It will be loaded on a 42' tiltbed trailer that will tilt 37 degree. My plan was when they put the back of the container on the ground and pull up enough I would slide a 8' or 10' 6x6 under it a few feet back from the end and when they pull the truck on up it would balance on that 6x6 and a few feet before it was off the tilitbed put the other 6x6 under it and he could pull the truck on up and the container would be off the ground where I won't have to lift it up much more for the RR ties or 8x8's on each end when I get them. The gound it will be unloaded on is packed gravel. Now I was thinking when I put the first 6x6 under the container and the container lowers on it as the truck/trailer pulls up will it balance on the 6x6 or will it just push the 6x6 away as it is lowered? Here is a pic of the spot next to the garage where the container will be unloaded. THANKS!!!

Attachments

• 1st of feb 2010 011.JPG
    1st of feb 2010 011.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 1st of feb 2010 014.JPG
    1st of feb 2010 014.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
   / Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #2  
I have seen quite a few containers delivered via a chain drive flat bed. If your delivery is on a similiar trailer, they should be able to set the container on anything you put on the ground. I would expect the driver has seen just about every conceivable way to shore up a container. Try telling the driver what you are wishing to do and he/she might tell you exactly the right way to do it. The containers, especially something new, are pretty darn tough. Good luck.

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #3  
RR ties are very inexpensive.

I would delay delivery until I had some, just because this thing is going to be heavy and hard to move. Especially when you get it full of stuff.

If you can't get RR ties for some reason, just plan an leaving it on PT 6x6 and be done with it.

Putting it done on something you plan to move later seems like making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #4  
RR ties are very inexpensive.

Putting it done on something you plan to move later seems like making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

Agree. We got 12x12 PT timbers for free and set ours on them. Easy and does the job just fine. If you have "sinky" soil set some patio slabs under them to give a larger footprint.

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #5  
A 40' container weighs about 10,500 ballpark. You can lift one end with a good car jack, a bottle jack 6 ton or more is no problem. Just be careful because they will shift sideways easily.

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container
If I use a treated 8' 6x6 on the 8' wide container it will put the frame rails of the container on the very edge of the 6x6. Will the end of the 6x6 hold up the weight of the container without crushing where all the weight is on the very edge of the 6x6? THANKS!!

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #7  
If I use a treated 8' 6x6 on the 8' wide container it will put the frame rails of the container on the very edge of the 6x6. Will the end of the 6x6 hold up the weight of the container without crushing where all the weight is on the very edge of the 6x6? THANKS!!

I would use a longer 6x6, say 10'. You want the edges of the container on the 6x6.

Alternatively, you can cut it in half and center each edge of the container on a 4' piece. Somehow this doesn't satisfy me, but it should work.

/ Question about the unloading of my new 40' container #8  
A 40' container weighs about 10,500 ballpark. You can lift one end with a good car jack, a bottle jack 6 ton or more is no problem. Just be careful because they will shift sideways easily.

Exactly my sentiments. I think you can easily make too much of getting the container down on runners as it is unloaded. I had no trouble at all lifting mine with a hi-lift farm jack and an automotive floor jack. I'd say let the driver concentrate on getting it in the right spot and put the ties under it when you get them. From the looks of the 04honda's pad, he has plenty of crushed rock to be a good bed for the container. I think he will end up having to jack it up to level it anyhow, so why not just do the whole thing then.