Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank????

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #1  

weedpharma

Gold Member
I have a Stihl brushcutter with a hole worn in the fuel tank. It is a type of white plastic and is used for two stroke fuel. Does anyone know of a glue or similar that can be used to seal the hole. What is the best way to clean the oil from the tank? I have tried silicon but it did not stick, probably due to oil remnants.

Thanks,

weedpharma

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #2  
From experience, time to get another tank. We dinked with one of those using every kind of glue, epoxy, plastic resin, plastic welder that we had at our disposal (which is a bunch in the helicopter fixin bidness) and never did find anything to bridge the hole and fix it.

On our motorcycle tanks that have an inserted piece of plastic, we use the plastic tank repair kits available from an auto supply house and they work pretty well, follow the directions to the letter including the seance, and waving of chicken bones but even that did not work on bridging a hole, even with cloth or other plastic scraps etc. These kits are covered with warnings that say NOT for fuel tanks, but I believe that is primarily a liability thing.

Good luck but I would put my effort into finding a replacement rather then fixing the one I had if it comes up again.

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #3  
I would replace the tank. Have not had any luck repairing plastic tanks as well.
Another thing to consider is the age of the hoses and primer bulb while you are working on it.

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #4  
another vote for replace

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #5  
I wonder how it would be possible to clean the oil without using a solvent that would cause the plastic to melt. The plastic would be tough to seal as it is even if you could get the oil off. You might check with your dealer and ask if they have any parts machines that have your tank on it or if you would have to order a new tank.

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #6  
I didn't see mention of how large the hole is, but that would make a difference. I have patched a gas tank lid for a lawn mower using some sort of "plastic" epoxy I got from TSC or some place like that. It worked quite well, though it didn't have gas sitting on it at all times. That could be the difference.
If it's a small hole, you could remove the tank, RINSE IT WELL, and and use a torch and piece of plastic to "weld" it shut.
Replacing it is the sensible route most often.

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #7  
i used fiberglass filler once and it seemed to work tho i had to put something on the inside to stop it from going into the tank to much

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #8  
Try chewing gum. Its an old bushmans fix. I don't know if it works but its cheap to try.

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank????
Thanks for all replies. I will now forget about repairing the tank as you have confirmed my thoughts on difficulty of doing so.

weedpharma

/ Sealing hole in plastic fuel tank???? #10  
I do believe the plastic tank is probably PVC.
If so, a hot glue gun will probably do the trick but first you need to thoroughly clean oils from the surfaces.
Laquer thinner would probably take care of that chore.