Rare snow. Cabin Picture.

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Friday night it began snowing here in Rock Hill, SC. We usually get a snow or two every winter but south of here where my cabin is, we rarely get a good snow. We called my sister-in-law who lives on a farm next to our cabin and she said they were getting a good bit of accumulation.
that night and headed down to see the place in the snow. We were just one of many of the other fools out on the highway when they had no business out there but we got down there just fine. Here is a picture of our cabin in the snow. Last time we got this much snow down there was about 8 years ago and we had not built the cabin at that time. I know 4-5 inches of snow is nothing for our northern friends but a pretty snow like this one is a rarity here.

I built this cabin myself (everything but the foundation and installing the metal roof) 5 years ago and it will probably be ten years before we see it in a snow like this again. It has no central heat or air (or fireplace....yet!) but we were toasty warm with two kerosene heaters and electric radiators in the bedrooms.

DSC9144.jpg

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #2  
Nothing like looking out of a toasty cabin at the snow ! Good looking cabin too, nice job N80.

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #3  
nice cabin, is it a kit?

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #5  
Beautiful picture. It's so clear and crisp!!! Makes me want to be there, but after dealing with my snow mess here, I'm not so excited about snow anymore. LOL

Eddie

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture.
Thanks guys. Buckeye, its about 45 minutes south of me. Its halfway between Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC. The 'snowline' is usually just north of Charlotte. Snow above, rain below. This storm came up from the south and there was more snow south of Charlotte.

LB, it was a kit. Got it from Southland Log Homes. Great outfit out of Columbia, SC. Logs all precut and numbered. Kit came with logs, trusses, joists, sheathing for floor and roof, doors, windows, porch lumber, and tongue and grove ceiling. You supply foundation, floors, interior walls, plumbing, electric, roofing etc.

I knew a few basics of carpentry and was just dumb and naive enough to think I could do it myself. Would have been a total disaster if my B-I-L who lives on the farm next door had not been there to help me. It is solid and we did a good job on on floors, roof walls etc. I learned basic plumbing, designed the plumbing and installed it by myself and I did a really good job on that. Trim work, eaves and such are pretty crude. Even a little sloppy in places. Functional but not pretty. Things like that seem embarrassing to me now. Would do better if I had it to do again.

Eddie, I'm with you. Love a good snow once a year that melts in a day or two.

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #7  
Looks like nice place to kick back enjoy life...enjoy often. :)

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #8  
Nice looking hide-a-way. As for the snow once you are in snow country it sort-of grows on you and you would love it..................right. We always have something to look forward too, more snow then mud season.

/ Rare snow. Cabin Picture. #10  
George, why didn't you put any steps on your front porch? I'm sure you enter the cabin from the rear, but the porch missing steps seems like an obvious oversight. I'm just confused and curious?:)

Nice cabin and great picture. I used a portable building for my cabin, so it isn't nearly as pretty as yours. The covered porch is a favorite feature of yours.