Yellow Jackets

/ Yellow Jackets #11  
I was splitting wood this February and a couple of peices from one old Eucalyptus just poured out Yellow Jackets. By the time I was done I had thousands of them crawiling around in a groggy state from hibernation. They couldn't fly and I just squashed them under my feet. I wouldn't recomend this during the warm part of the year but it works great in the winter.
Last summer we were swarmed constantly by them but this year I haven't seen even one. I understand they need lots of water and maybe the drought here is helping.
Branch

/ Yellow Jackets #12  
I too have been having my share of fun with these miserable creatures!!! I happen to be very allergic to bug bites, specifically bee stings and I managed to get stung this past Tuesday evening as I was moving my trailer. I hadn't used it for about a month so that gave those dirty buggers plenty of time to start their nest. Right where the ball goes into the tongue. One found my right forarm and in a matter of two hours, my arm swelled up like Popeye. And talk about hurt. I have to carry an "Epipen", a self injector of epinephrine just in case. Now how to get rid of them. I've been buying bee and wasp killer from Lowe's and it works great. This hand held can will shoot s stream 20' with authority. The stuff I've been using has a dielectric breakdown voltage of 45,000. Still tring to figure out what it means, but this stuff really works. The bees drop dead instantly. Good luck and be greatful you're not allergic. Stopping at Lowe,s tonight for more spray for my next goaround

/ Yellow Jackets #13  
<font color=blue>BUT just be sure no other flammables are in the area, like dry grass, wood siding, hay,</font color=blue>

or, say, a septic tank. My neighbor, the drowsy civil engineer decided to fix his wasp problem with the gas/match method. Problem was the nest was around the cover of the septic tank. Ka-freakin-boom. I was in my garage when it happened. I went out to look and, upon seeing that no one was injured, focussed my attention on not wetting myself.

/ Yellow Jackets #14  
Kevin, don't shoot a 50KV line /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.........chim

/ Yellow Jackets #15  
Kevin,

What Chim is refering to is that the if you happen to hit some hit some high voltage wires, you need to make sure that the voltage is not over 45,00 V.

Supposedly the stuff won't conduct electricity under that amount.

Just for a little clarification. :)

Don

/ Yellow Jackets #16  
A can of brake cleaner works good instant death! Not the new non toxic types but the good old fashioned toxic type one squirt and they are curled up in a ball dead. Makes you wonder what the stuff does to humans!

/ Yellow Jackets #17  
Guess I am trying to read between the your lines, but are you saying the septic system blew up when the neighbor lit a match? I am not clear what you are saying happened.
That is a first, for me, to hear that one can blow up a septic tank. Did he pour some gas down the cover, or have some of the gas fumes drift down into the cover? That might do it. But I don't think methane can accumulate in a properly working septic tank. Although, one must be careful when going into one to inspect it.

/ Yellow Jackets #18  
Metahane gas is heavier than air and will gather in low unvented areas. Boom!

/ Yellow Jackets #19  
Don -
OH NO! I used to do that but when it got to about $0.05 a stick I quit burning my money! Now I don't have cigarettes or money. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Yellow Jackets #20  
HEY! I heard water with some dish soap in it is death on ants too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif