Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #1  

JoeR

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC
We have two horses, and I built a small pole barn for them. After spending 3 weekends building it, I decided I do not want to build another one! Now my garage is used for hay, feed, and tack storage. Yes, I should have planned this when I built the pole barn, but I was not thinking just building.

I have some things I need to address.

1. A place to park the tractor and implements. (This can be almost anywhere on the property)

2. A place for the tack and feed. ( I prefer this near the stalls)

A. Should I purchase a pre-made 10X12 with 7' ceilings for $1500 installed. Located next to stalls.

B. Buy a metal building kit 20x30 for $5000-$6000? But I could not locate this near the stalls

C. Do both?

Any better ideas? Of course I am trying to be cost effective and make sure I don't build another pole barn without a tack room.

Thanks,

Joe

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #2  
PoleBarn3_250W.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.84lumber.com/Projects/Pole_Barns/index.asp>84 Lumber Pole Barn Kits/Plans…</A>

I’m home for lunch right now, but will try to find the exact pricing later… A 30 by 40 with 10’ walls…I think was about ~~ $2800. quote from last year @ 84 Lumber… (don’t hold me to this price… I had looked at many “flavors” and sizes) /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #3  
Maybe just start all over and put it all under one roof.

Egon

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #4  
WOW! Thats a good price. That is the size I am looking for for my land, but never thought to check with 84. Now if I could just get some time to put one up, I will be set.

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #5  
Joe,

You might want to think of building a lean-to attachment onto your existing pole barn that's large enough for the tractor (provided you have space that allows for this add on).

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #6  
How much do surplus ocean going containers go for in your area? You can paint them so they don't look to funky and they are about the securest thing around. Around here they are considered a portable building so they're not taxed. A 20'x8'x8' container goes for around $600, the 40 footers run 12 to 1400 bucks.

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #7  
The price I just got from 84 Lumbar was 5006.00 for the economy and 6369.00 for the deluxe. 30x40x10.

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage
I am guessing this is without the foundation?

Thanks,

Joe

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #9  
Yeap, no foundation included. It appears to me from talking with them, it was designed to use the ground with gravel in the econo model. The deluxe was for a slab. But that's what I got out of the conversation. I am looking for almost the exact same thing you are and I just want the cheapest I can get.

/ Need advice on Barn/Shed/Storage #10  
JoeR,
I too am trying to figure out some storage problems as they relate to horses. After searching the local book store, I grabbed "HORSEKEEPING ON A SMALL ACREAGE ... facilities design and management" from Cherry Hill publishing. Covers from about 3 acres and up. As a person who is just starting out with horses, I found this book gave me some insight on what to consider when doing my layout. I figured I would invest in a $19.00 book to give me a rough idea of what to do. As you first stated, "but I was not thinking just building." I will hopefully avoid some grief.
Good luck...Steve H. (soon to be 'Albertine Acres Horse Farm')