anyone else making maple sugar/syrup?

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
I'm pretty low on my leftover syrup so I'm making more had taps in trees for two weeks almost now and have almost enough to last for 2 years again. I thought people might like to see what I'm doing. see attached pics.

sap bag on tree hanging get 1~1.5 gallon a day from ave tap
running into a 5 gallon bucket using taps and tubes
boiling sap into syrup

Mark M

Attachments

• 0304101625.jpg
    0304101625.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 0221101341.jpg
    0221101341.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 0303101401.jpg
    0303101401.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 0316081411.jpg
    0316081411.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 97
   / anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #2  
Nice Setup!

I'm boiling today's harvest right now. Smells great.

I have a question for you. Right now I just hang buckets or jugs off my trees, but I've been thinking about moving over to the 5gal buckets with tubes. I've never quite understood how you can use tubes and not have them freeze solid over night. I would think that it would cut into your yields.

Do you have problems with the tubes freezing?
Does you notice that you collect more sap from your bags as opposed to the 5 gal buckets?

Thanks,

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #3  
Looks good, I just started fooling around with making syrup last year when I tapped my one maple, got enough sap to make almost a gallon of syrup.

This year is bad we have had above freezing temps every day now for close to a month, even the nights have not gotten below freezing for a couple of weeks. I just tapped this week and hardly got a gallon of sap:(

I think I missed the boat by a couple of weeks, I just thought it was way to early for spring in the first week of February. Maybe I could buy some sap from a bigger operation, I do love maple syrup.

these pics are from last year.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN0921.jpg
    DSCN0921.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN3502.JPG
    DSCN3502.JPG
    990.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3498.JPG
    DSCN3498.JPG
    984.6 KB · Views: 88
   / anyone else making maple sugar/syrup?
Nice Setup!

I'm boiling today's harvest right now. Smells great.

Do you have problems with the tubes freezing?
Does you notice that you collect more sap from your bags as opposed to the 5 gal buckets?

Thanks,

It could be that there is some freezing that keeps the sap flow down in AM some but normally the tubes being smaller melt faster than the large wood tree,

This is the first year I tried the bags, there is a harder time pouring the sap out of the bags, I get a lot of spillage and bark bits in the sap from them. The bags also are up hanging off the tap where sun gets on them and will cause more bacteria to grow faster.

anyhow I cant really say if I get more from the taps & bags or taps lines & buckets. I have larger trees tapped on bags in more remote area than the smaller one from tubes... I have been getting close to 2 or more gallons from a single tap on the big tree in the pic.

it sets on top of the creek so sugar content may be lower.

the guy that got a gallon of syrup from one tree, not sure how as it takes 30!45gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup, though thisis to grade where as boiling to lower sugar content is possible.
I boil to temperature 219F +/- a degree which is old way, new way is hydrometer but they are expensive and easly broken... dont ask how I know :eek:

Mark

Attachments

• sap bag 24hrs of time.jpg
    sap bag 24hrs of time.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 59
   / anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #5  
the guy that got a gallon of syrup from one tree, not sure how as it takes 30!45gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup, though thisis to grade where as boiling to lower sugar content is possible.
I boil to temperature 219F +/- a degree which is old way, new way is hydrometer but they are expensive and easly broken... dont ask how I know :eek:

Mark

Not quite a gallon, but yeah this tree was great last year, easily got over 30 gallons of sap and had a high sugar content.

I've got all oaks and pines on my property, this one maple is right on the border line but the south side is on my side :)

JB.

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #6  
I did my own last year, probably do it again this year, takes forever to cook it down. It is to early for us yet another couple of weeks.

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #7  
Just tapped 8 trees. I do maple, beech and some ash. Historically a lot of deciduous trees were tapped but Maple was found to produce the best syrup/sugar. I am halfway through Scott and Helen Nearing's Sugaring book. Interesting read. During the American revolution the gov't proposed a boycott of all sugar because it was primarily produced by the british in british colonies. At that point in history indigenous peoples and settlers were producing syrup and sugar on massive quantities. One tribe was reported producing 90 tonnes of sugar by heated rock method. Interesting that maple sugar didn't take off in a big way. The indigenous peoples used sugar like we used salt - they cured meats and ailments with it as well as just enjoying it.

Last edited:
   / anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #8  
Very cool, does the beech and ash have a different flavor? color? or do you combine them into one batch? I heard stories of sappers who would tap all types of trees it just didnt occur to me to tap those species.

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #9  
I am about a week behind in putting in the spiles and hanging buckets. We tap 10- 15 trees and that usually produces a years supply. Our neighbours tap about 800 trees and so if we run out we can always get a little from them:eek:

/ anyone else making maple sugar/syrup? #10  
You can tap Ash trees? I've got plenty of those, some real big ones, 2-3+ ft in diameter. heard of Birch never Ash.

JB.