Best fence post

/ Best fence post #1  

ford farm boy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mx5100,9N,ford 2000
What is the best fence post ( treated ,ceder , locust ) for long life

/ Best fence post #2  
I don't know where your from but if hedge is local to you then that would be the best corner or line post.

/ Best fence post
This will be for farm fence about 2500 feet and I live in Indiana .
Thanks

/ Best fence post #5  
There are some near here that are 100+ years old. Granite... Quarried near Folsom Prison. Might be hard to find and ship though :D

/ Best fence post #6  
They saying is "A good hedge post will last a lifetime." However, they are usually crooked, can't nail or staple into because so hard, can't pull out of the ground later very easily and basically a PITA. For most applications a good 4-5" creosote post is somewhat economical, long lasting, straight, looks good and can be nail/stapled. Just a bit messy to work with because of the creosote. Use a pair of leather gloves that you can throw away.

/ Best fence post #7  
There are some near here that are 100+ years old. Granite... Quarried near Folsom Prison. Might be hard to find and ship though :D

I would love to see the fence staples for these posts.:D

/ Best fence post #8  
Galvanized pipe. It lives longer and is stronger.

Bois d Arc (Osage Orange) makes a great fence post. It's just harder than a bad girl's heart and just about as crooked.

/ Best fence post #9  
Ground contact treated wood is easily available, and not expensive. It's usually pine, and pay attention to the treatment solution and strength (there is much variation in what's commercially available - a short net search will tell you what's best of the stuff available in your area). I've short fence lines (< 100 feet in most places), so used 4X4s dropped into a 3 foot hole (I've a post hole digger) with 80lbs of quickrete - that's way overkill for a long fence line at a farm. The round wooden poles, and the galvanized ones, can be driven into non-rocky soil with a FEL, if you have 2 folks working, one on the tractor and one centering the posts (a short piece of 2X6 centered over a post-hole pounder - the manual kind - onto which you lower the FEL works fine). Takes a bit of practice, but once you get going.....you can get in a fence line fairly quickly.

/ Best fence post #10  
I like old telephone or power poles. I put 16' poles in 30'-40' apart and string electric fence to keep deer out. I put the poles 5' in the ground, dug by hand, 1/2 hour a hole. They are very sturdy. What are you keeping in, or out?