Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Automatic \"Trickle\" Battery Chargers

I'm looking to keep the 12V battery on my generator charged. I've seen small 1/2 amp trickle chargers advertised that are supposed to have an automatic feature - they charge the battery then shut off. The battery shop owner says they are very unreliable and overcharge the batteries 50% of the time. He even states they will start fires. Any prior experience or knowledge about these units?

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #2  
Re: Automatic \"Trickle\" Battery Chargers

I use a 12v Trickle charger for my trailer battery - 12v deep cycle. I haven't had any problems, but I also do not leave the charger connected all the time. During the camping season I charge it up a couple of days before we leave. During the winter I put the battery on the charger about once a month to "top it off" then disconnect.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #3  

I have a trickle charger on my 166 hp 100 kw generator. I have had good luck with it. I recommend them to everyone with a generator especially automatic standby generators.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #4  

I have 3 different 1/2A "automatic" trickle chargers. I use them for the little batteries that don't get used enough for them to keep the batteries in good shape: the snowmobile, the atv and the lawn tractor. I switch them off at times to the generator and the motorcycle (season permitting).
Since I've been using them, I've replaced far fewer batteries. Never had an overheat problem with the batteries ... but I am using the "smart" chargers that sense current and cycle properly.
I don't worry about the generator too much as I try to follow the instructions of starting and running for 1/2 hour ... no longer weekly but I try to stick to bi-weekly. That keeps the battery charged enough.
(I tend to use it for outdoor power quite a bit ... that way it's not just running, it's being used)

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #5  

My boat has a three phase onboard charger, heavy charge, medium and trickle/shutoff. It’s about the size of a cigar box and will maintain up to 3 batteries of all types, gell, maintenance free, regular cell. If they're regular batteries, just be sure to check the battery water levels every month or so. The boat is plugged in at a marina April thru October and both batteries stay fully charged all season, unless something happens like the dockside circuit breaker tripping. To contradict what the guy at the battery place said about fires and lunching out batteries, if that were the case every cruiser docked should be burning up or replacing batteries on a regular basis. And I know that’s not happening. I just replaced the charger this season and it cost a little over a hundred bucks. At home you can screw it on a wall, run your power to it, and run the "to battery" wires with alligator clips.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #6  

Chris,
A 1/2 amp or 1 amp trickle charger won't over charge your battery by any great amount. However, a better approach, (especially if the generator is an emergency power source), would be to run your generator for a half hour or so every month. Keeps the battery charged and lets you know the generator will be operational when you need it.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #7  

I had a couple of riding mowers for awhile and it seemed that the battery on one or the other was always down when I wanted to use it, so I purchased a couple of "Automatic Battery Float Chargers" from Harbor Freight. Supposedly this item "maintains a full charge with overcharging" and "includes automatic safety shut off." I've used these float chargers for approximately a year and a half and they seem to do what is claimed for them. They were about $8 each on sale. I have no idea if and how a "float charger" differs from a regular battery charger.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #8  

Yes!!

I lost a 1962 TVR in a fire caused by a trickle charger. The car was stored in an old garage behind our home and the charger was set up to keep the battery charged.

The insurance company found that the battery was over charged and feed current back to the charger and started it on fire. Saved the garage but the car was a loss.

I still use a trickle charger in the winter but do not leave it on all the time.

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #9  
Re: Automatic

I have three of the little buggers and as they began to proliferate around here, I extended the wires with ring terminals that went to the batt and put a small set of batt clamps on so I could easily swap that one charger from batt to batt. Next I think I will install a polarized socket on each vehicle/thingy I want to charge so I can just plug the charger in at an acessiblel location and not have to raise the hood or climb under my dune buggy. Mine cost about $30 and are designed for permanent installation into a vehicle (poo to that!).

I have one on my mom's deep cycle battery for emergency lighting and power for her safe room. So far I have been pleased with these units (Shrader).

Someone asked what could go wrong with this sort of item. I won't attempt to address all the failure modes but I will describe a way for a unit to be designed/implemented incorrectly. First, let me say that charging a lead acid batt can cause it to outgas via electrolysis (consuming water from the electrolyte). This is especially true when the batt voltage is high and charging current continues.

Often in a batt charger, a regular step down transformer like you might use in a power supply has rectifier(s) in its output to make pulsating DC to charge the batt. The RMS voltage of the waveform might be equal to the float value selected, say 14.2 volts. If the RMS is 14.2 volts then the peak is about 20 volts. During that part of the alternation when the output is between 14.2 and 20 volts the battery continues to charge some. This sort of circuit won't stop charging until the batt reached 20 volts and as that won't happen the batt gets overcharged and in the process gets "boiled dry" (actually looses electrolyte through electrolysis). A smarter circuit uses a SCR, triac, or whatever to turn the current off when the batt reaches the set value. Usually there is a little hysteresis designed in so the batt has to fall down a bit in voltaage before the ckt turns back on (like a low pressure turn on and high pressure turn off for a water well controller). Sometimes there is a LED that is on when charging and it will begin to blink rather than be on or off when the unit is cycling at the set point.

There are a lot of different ways to make one of these chargers that works without hurting your batt. As you employ a new one (a brand/type not familliar to you) monitor the electrolyte level and batt voltage frequently. If it doesn't overcharge voltage wise or cause the loss of electrolyte you can safely lengthen out the intervals between voltage/electrolyte checks. I would be happy to see the voltage level out at a value greater than 12.6 and would get nervous if this sort of charger got over 14 volts or so. I trust the units I am using, based on actual experience, to be safe to ignore for a few months at a time except maybe on the chipper batt (smallest one I have but havent used it there yet). Like others have said, I rotate one of the chargers between a couple three different vehicles depending on usage patterns.

Regarding the attached sketch: "A" is the positive alternation, "B" is the negative alternation, "B prime" is the rectified negative alternation. The dashed horizontal line is the DC voltage level equivalent to the rectified waveform compried of A and B prime. If the DC equivalent value shown by the dashed horizontal line (AKA RMS-root mean square) is 14.2 volts then the peak value of the two positive pulses is nearly 20 volts. Difficult to see in the drawing since I scaled it to show that 10 volts RMS is about 14 volts peak. The ratio stays the same with a sine wave voltage. The peak value is 1.414 times the RMS value. Battery chargers usually do NOT have filtration and their outputs typically are NOT smooth DC. So, should you venture to Radio Shack to get parts to build your econo-charger be careful that you don't overcharge your battery and dry it out. This can be done over time even with a charger that is capable of less than 1/2 amp of current, provided that it isn't designed properly. the quick and dirty charging circuits are fine for temp use but should not be left connected indefinitely as they will ruin a batt.

Patrick

/ Automatic "Trickle" Battery Chargers #10  
Re: Automatic

Use the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/solar_chargers.htm#saver%20plus>sun.</A>