Duck Pluckin?

/ Duck Pluckin? #1  

Dobber30052

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM 2210 & Farmall "B"
My wife and I have a little piece of heaven we call Dobber's Pond. Obviously, we have a pond here... Consequently, we got ducks. Then we had more ducks, then a few more. We now have over 30, well 25... read on... As we have chickens for eggs, and goats for some milk, we thought we'd harvest a few of the ducks for the table and freezer. We have several books about raising ducks, and they all pretty much said the same thing about butchering them. I tried the knife/ ice pick through the mouth into the brain thing, no luck; wound up using a hatchet. "Dry plucking is preferred and easier", we wound up scalding them. "A pro" can pluck a duck in 3-4 minutes" - I think I'd pay $100 to see that!!

Now, this is my first attempt at this, and I know we'll get better as we go along, but, do you folks have any tips???

One other specific question, the ducks are Muscovies. Our books stated the best butchering times were between 10-20 weeks, also to buthcer them before they molt, and if after, wait until the feathers are fully in. I think this must have something to do with our lack of speed and feather co-operation. Our guys (and gals) were about 18 weeks. Does anyone have firsthand experience with with an age difference when duck pluckin?

We have another clutch that will be "ready" soon... I'd prefer to take an afternoon rather than a whole day next time!

Dob

PS This is cross posted in "Off Topic & Just for Fun"

/ Duck Pluckin? #2  
See your other posting for a "plucking update".

/ Duck Pluckin? #3  
I can only tell you what dad and I did when I was a kid ......... take a big pot of hot water 210 dregees as temp sticks in my mind , add a cap full of dishwashing liquid , take head less duck dip until feathers of wing pull out easy , then quickly hang duck by leg at eye level ( saves the back ) and take the freathers off of body ASAP !!! speed here and the right temp water will tell if you time the work right just before or after all the pin feathers are in / out you will find this goes quick , we easlily did thirty home grown ducks in a day ,feathers only , next daywas spent gut'n and cleaning
Good Luck
Bill G.

/ Duck Pluckin?
Now that I've washed the blood off my hands from gutting and cleaning... I've got to figure out that gizzard thing... I managed to get them all, but what a pain! And I LOVE gizzards!

I think the getting them off ASAP proves beneficial, I got that from the other forum too. As mentioned there, I killed them all at once, and well, being our first time and all, the last one was a while after he lost his head...

And, I confess, I forgot to put the detergent in the hot water.

Live, do, learn.
Thanks for the tips,

Dob

/ Duck Pluckin? #5  
Glad to hear all went well , with time and practice you will get better ,,, as for the gizzards .. get a very sharp knife hold the gizzard so that you can see the thickest part is on top ,, Cut very carfully a little at a time until you see the lining of the stomach , donot cut in to this or you will have a harder time cleaning it , keep cuting around the gizzard until you have over half the gizzard split around the edge to the lining , grab both flaps and roll off the meat from the lining .. may take a bit but once you get one or two to go right you will be a pro , good luck .
Bill G.

/ Duck Pluckin?
Thanks for the gizzard tip, Bill, I'll try it that way next time. I think we'll start the next batch a little younger, I really think we timed the feather thing all wrong.

I think the 1st one we cook, I'm gonna deep fry like a turkey!

Dob

/ Duck Pluckin? #7  
Sounds good , but remember they have a higher fat content and may be a bit grease,,
You might try to roast them on a rack or rotisisory (sp?) to keep them up out of the drippings , mix oj and mint and baste for a nice peking orange duck ..mmmmmmm
Good Luck
Bill G.

/ Duck Pluckin?
The fried duck was good, not great, but, good. The meat was a bit tougher than expected. Next fry will be a little less time in the oil. I used a 5 min per lb guide. For the next cookout, I'm putting one on the Holland grill/smoker. After that, we're trying the Brinkman. I will definetly try the OJ/mint baste!

Dob