Garden out yet?

/ Garden out yet? #61  
Awesome spring thread! We are a way up in the northeast and have some plants started in the small greenhouse and under lights in the house but nothing out in the garden yet. Today I have a day off work and will be tilling for the first time. I plan to mix in a bunch of really nice manure and get the lettuce transplants in along with 'taters and onions. Our garlic that we put in last fall is doing well :licking: as are the early weeds:mad:

I am going to try planing early peas in starter pots and then transplant them into the garden. Like you Jinman, I've had problems with them rotting in the soil when it is early and cool.

Can't wait to get down into the dirt! You folks in the south are lucky to be started already.

/ Garden out yet? #62  
I hear ya Oil Slick. I put my garden out two weeks ago and seems like since then we have had zero rain! We went from a tropical rain forest (rain every other day) to the Sahara desert. I put out squash, zuchs, blue lake beans, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, peppers (both bell and banana), radishes and cantelopes. The cucumbers, squash and melons are struggling with the cool nights, but everythings else seems to be doing great. I have watered twice since planting but I think I may lose the cucumbers. I guess I'll just replant in a couple weeks if so.

/ Garden out yet? #63  
Our deck is about 12' off the ground. so i put some screw in eye hooks and run bailers twine from a ten stake to each hop plant. You only want two vines coming up so that it puts all its energy into the cones. They are very easy to take care of. I put some bone meal down every year and they come up no problem. If its rainy you will have to worry about some mildew, so i have some gardens alive organic sprays that take care of that. I have about 10 different varities and have bought them all through thyme garden out in washington state. In fall all you do is pick the hops and cut the twine and let them drop. i can then compost the vines, and string. You just have to use more of them in your recipes, but the aroma is second to none.

/ Garden out yet?
Got to put fish emulsion water on the plants again. They are calling for 40% chance of rain tomorrow, but man its dry out there. And we had rain one day last week plus I watered. But this is Texas.

I noticed yesterday some of my potato leaves are starting to stick up through the dirt.

I got 4 ripe cherry tomatoes off a plant yesterday, but I think small ones were on it when I planted it. But that was a surprise. I noticed my lettuce is heading, so head lettuce soon.

DD and I are getting ready to take off in the motorhome maybe Sunday and heading south. Pardre, Matagorda, somewhere down there. Hoping to go fishing, got the rods and reels all cleaned up and some with new line. Need to pick up some sinkers and hooks and a few things. It's actually been years since we have been fishing, hubby doesn't like to fish!! Can you beleive that?
So I have to get the yard work done, clean what I can, don't like to come home to a dirty place when I come home. Hubby flew out today to Luanda then on to Liboto in Angolo. I was wondering if I was going to survive, he has been ready to go for months. Hope to hear he arrived safely before I leave.