Greenhouse, partly recycled material

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
Had one of my e-mail buddies ask about a greenhouse so thought I would post some pics of one I built about 5 years ago.
The size was mostly determined by the 3 large (9 ft) used patio doors I got at a reasonable price, $30.00 each. Then wanted to make sure my wife, the gardener, had enough room to move around in it. Have a cement mixer so the perimeter is cement foundation with anchor bolts. The wood is band sawn cedar from our property. The other windows got scrounged for free. The green fiberglass roofing came off a mobile porch. The over all size is 10 X 14 ft. It has power to it, 1 plug and then to a light switch for 4 100 watt bulbs, she does go out after dark to putter around, the lights work very well , nice and bright.
The middle of the greenhouse is open for her to walk around, open board shelving for flats of starter plants and beds below them. So when you enter the greenhouse the only place that does not have the beds or shelving around the outside is at the door. In the spring I put a pump in our creek and have a hose into the greenhouse for her watering needs. We also have a garbage can, full of water from the roof, that she can use if needed. The garbage can is topped off from time to time with creek water as it warms up nicely and is great for watering. The upper smaller windows I put in so that if it got to hot in there we could open them for ventilation. It's not as good looking as the first one I built at our first house but then that was a kit from the lumber yard.

Attachments

• GreenhouseRosd 014.jpg
    GreenhouseRosd 014.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • GreenhouseRosd 018.jpg
    GreenhouseRosd 018.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 466
  • GreenhouseRosd 015.jpg
    GreenhouseRosd 015.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 237
  • GreenhouseRosd 016.jpg
    GreenhouseRosd 016.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 246
  • GreenhouseRosd 013.jpg
    GreenhouseRosd 013.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,243
   / Greenhouse, partly recycled material #2  
Man, that is lovely. I love the recycled nature of it, even if it isn't as cosmetically perfect as a kit unit.

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #3  
Really nice looking and I am sure she will enjoy her new hideout. Keep us updated on the use as well at the internal temperatures.

Wayne

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #4  
Very nice, Mouse! Should do the job.
Dave.

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #5  
That reminds me of the greenhouse my uncle built when I was a kid. He didn't have sliding patio doors, but he did use a lot of old casement windows and half-glass doors. Nice job! That will probably hold up a lot better than some of those fancy ones.:)

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #6  
Thanks for posting Mouse' If I build one it will probably be a lean-to, so your design will work just fine. My next steps (1) move an 8x10 thrifty building (2) decide if two more big trees should come down (3) look for some materials that I can recycle, and still past the inspection by my wife--since it will be near her herb garden. Yours looks great !!

Regarding #1 above, anyone know how much an your standard 8x10 generic storage building weighs, and if my FEL on a Kioti CK30 would lift it?

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #7  
Regarding #1 above, anyone know how much an your standard 8x10 generic storage building weighs, and if my FEL on a Kioti CK30 would lift it?

You didn't say "generic steel" or "generic wood," so I'll take the heaviest (wood). Even with a floor kit, it will probably weigh a bit less than 1000 lb. Consider that a 16' utility trailer with a lot of steel and two axles only weighs about 1500 lb and your building will look like a lightweight by comparison.

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #8  
Looks great! I am envious that you have such a nice climate. We love to garden too. Thanks for sharing.

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #9  
Looks way better than most greenhouses I have seen. Great idea to reuse patio windows in this application.

/ Greenhouse, partly recycled material #10  
Thanks for posting Mouse' If I build one it will probably be a lean-to, so your design will work just fine. My next steps (1) move an 8x10 thrifty building (2) decide if two more big trees should come down (3) look for some materials that I can recycle, and still past the inspection by my wife--since it will be near her herb garden. Yours looks great !!

We moved one last year using three 6" x 10' pvc pipes and simply rolled it where we wanted it to go. Lot easier to roll than pick it up and less stress on the building. We used the tractor to pull it along and a couple guys moving the pipes around as it moved along.