What To Do w/Well House

/ What To Do w/Well House #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Attached is a picture of a well house that's in one of our pastures. It's roughly 6' x 6'. There used to be a nice railing around it, until the horses decided to do some remodeling. The floor is made up of 2.5" thick, 7" wide boards that, as you can see, are beginning to rot. (They are not PT boards) This floor covers a hand dug, stone lined well. The well is about 3.5' in diameter. The surface of the water is 3' below ground level and it's about 8' deep.

Any suggestions for how/if I can remodel and use this structure?

Attachments

• 8-185296-wellhouse.jpg
    8-185296-wellhouse.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 191
   / What To Do w/Well House #2  
Hi Mike...

We have a similar well that is surrounded by a well house. See attachment of what the well house looked like before renovation. The well was hand dug, is about 20' deep, about 3' diameter, and water level fluctuates with seasons. In Spring water is about 2-3' from surface. At end of long dry Summers, it is about 6-8' below the surface. It has never gone completely dry. See next post to see what we did with the well house.

Bob

Attachments

• 8-185301-wellhouseBFR#1.jpg
    8-185301-wellhouseBFR#1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 73
   / What To Do w/Well House #3  
Here's another before shot when I started work on the well house prior to reconstruction.

Attachments

• 8-185303-wellhouseBFR#2.jpg
    8-185303-wellhouseBFR#2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 79
   / What To Do w/Well House #4  
This is just one guys thought... Take several pix from diff angles. Save the pix and trash the structure. Either cover the well to protect folks and stock or build a new structure. If you are into historical preservation kinda stuff then use the pictures as a guide when rebuilding.

Patrick

/ What To Do w/Well House #5  
Here's what the well house now looks like...totally reconstructed. In bygone years, this well house was used in the barn yard to draw water for the dairy cows. An electrically operated pump sat on boards similar to what you have and the pump was operated manually on an as needed basis to pump water for the troughs.

My wife now uses the well house as a garden house to store garden supplies and to make up potted plants. We still draw water from the well by pail and rope. We want to get a hand pump in time to pump manually.

The well house you have has potential. It doesn't look like the structure is worth saving. However, a small well house could be built around it similar to what I have. Use of it could be anything your imagination conjurs...garden house, patio house, gazebo, etc.

Whatever you do though, I'd highly recommend you save that well. It is living history. These wells are not made this way anymore. Wells were originally dug by hand to a level deemed appropriate until ground water levels were reached. A wooden, cylindrical wheel similar to a water wheel was placed in the well on it's side and lowered to the bottom leaving just enough room between its outside perimeter and the walls of the earthern well for the stone wall. Stone and rocks were then carefully placed in position and built up at the same time the wheel was slowly raised. The wheel is what held the stone walls in place until they set.

As long as the water is good, it could be used again for whatever purpose you desire. A hand pump or electric pump could draw water serving the needs of whatever structure you may decide to build...whether it be a building of some type or just a well canopy similar to what currently exists.

Bob

Attachments

• 8-185309-wellhousefrontAFT.jpg
    8-185309-wellhousefrontAFT.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 89
   / What To Do w/Well House #6  
Bob, Nice job. I wouldn't be able to resist contrasting trim colors (white) on "Z" brace on the door for more "barn" motif.

Patrick