Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7610 hst

Default Attracting Ducks

I have a small pond and would love to have ducks stay for more than one night and leave,, The pond is about 40 by 80 and 20' deep with one side having a sloped entrance to the water the rest of the sides are shear walls. On the shallow end there are some catninetails growning,,

What more do they want ???

Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

Default Re: Attracting Ducks

Its all about the depth of the water, A pond for ducks is very shallow because the stuff they feed of of grows on the bottom they need to be able to eat it.
    Army grunt
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".

Elite Member

I have to side with Army grunt on this, your water hole may be to deep for there breeding and living needs????

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Puddle ducks,mallards,blacks,woodduck ect. feed in water six to twelve inches deep,what they are doing now is using your pond for a resting area and moving on to feed.If you want them to stay you must provide feed and shallow water....maybe extend your shallow end and plant wild rice.If you provide this you might want to put up some wood-duck nesting boxes.

Cracked corn just may extend their stay. Of course you must also consider that some may be transient migrating ducks who will stock up and then vanish on a favorable wind.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

My pond is similar to yours, a little wider and maybe not as much shear wall. This suites my domestic ducks just fine. I do feed my ducks cracked corn. Wild ducks come in and out and will hang out for weeks at a time as long as the corn bowl is providing an easy meal

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Maybe get a couple domestic ducks for 'decoys' and put out some feed. I think ducks are less wary of landing when they see other ducks.

I think it's common for mallards to inter-breed with smaller domestic ducks. They can be very tame if they feel at home.
    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Snook, Texas by way of the South Carolina Lowcountry
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

Your pond sounds like a good set up for diving ducks, but not puddle ducks. Like has been said, puddlers feed in less than a foot of water(normally). However, you can feed them cobbed corn. It floats in water that's too deep for shelled corn.
    This old porch is just a long time of waiting and forgetting ...Remembering the coming back and not crying about the leaving. And remembering the falling down and the laughter of the curse of luck, from all those son's of bitches who said we'd never get back up"

~REK Jr

Kubota B2920 w/ FEL
    Box Blade
    Shredder
    Tiller
    Middle Buster

Quote Originally Posted by hr3 View Post
    I have a small pond and would love to have ducks stay for more than one night and leave,, The pond is about 40 by 80 and 20' deep with one side having a sloped entrance to the water the rest of the sides are shear walls. On the shallow end there are some catninetails growning,,

What more do they want ???
    I've put in a couple of wood duck houses...also scatter some cracked corn around when I feed the fish...lastly, 3-4 broken bales of barley straw for cover and nesting...the barley straw will also help to keep your pond clear ( I usually sink one in the deep end).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

You might also try a "hen house" nesting platform. If you really want a sure thing get a couple of clipped wing females and put out feed. I have a similar pond in front of the house and thirty acres of marsh behind. The ducks will never stay in the front pond for more than a few hours. If you have any similar distraction near you (like a big shallow body of water) they will not likely hang around in your pond regardless of efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast