Question and advise about septic tank cleaning...

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #21  
Hey RedBug- your tank looks exactly like mine, same lids with the wire grab etc.
I've had mine pumped twice in 20+ years..the first time was right before I had to get the drainfield replaced, what an expense and pita that was, they had to dig up a lot of my lawn in back for that.
When I had mine pumped last I dug up the top for them hoping for a discount, nope same price if they dug it up or I did.

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #22  
Sooo this pump truck showes up at the house with a crew of two to pump the septic. The truck owner and his apprentice, little Johnie. They remove the lid, put the hose in and start pumping. All goes well for a while but than it stops and whatever the truck owner tries, it just does not work. He has no choice, cloths off and in the septic tank he dives. After 20 seconds he shows up and says:

"Hey, Johnie, hand me the 9/16" wrench"

He takes it and dives in again, later on he comes for a hammer and another wrench and finally he gets out, tries it and the truck pumps like new.
Satisfied the truck owner is cleaning off all the @$#%# and says to his apprentice:

"Remember, Johnie, if you don't study and learn the business, you will be just handing wrenches all your life!!!":D

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning...
Prokop...You mentioned you took the lid off your septic. What method did you use and did it cover the whole thing? I was thinking a pry bar would crumble a portion of the tank. And that would not be good. My guess would be to try to slide the cover to one side. A set of forks could lift the cover up enough to access the tank. That way a person could get in and feel around for any lost wrenches...Remember, when the lake freezes...the ducks start walkin'...

Skyco...When I uncovered it, I had no idea how they would open the door ends up. The wire grabs had rusted away. The guy just pounded on each door from above a few times to loosen them up with a hammer. Then took the pick axe, swung and grabbed the protruding edge and pried the doors up also using the crow bar. You always learn something new by watching and asking. Drainfields...I would like to learn more.

Last edited:
   / Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #24  
Redbug: If I remember correctly, there was a steel ring or something on the lid. I cleaned what I could from the crack around the cover, than I put digging bar through the ring and leveraged against the other side of the hole. The lid was like 2x2 feet or so, piece of concrete with tapered sides.

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #25  
The truck the guy showed up with at our house was a beauty. :thumbsup: It had a real nice yellow and purple paint job. NICE. I think the truck was a F650/750 with a Cat or Cummins engine. The truck was CLEAN. The helper hopped out of the truck to back it up and I mentioned the cleanliness of the truck. He said the truck was kept in a heated garage. :laughing:

I believe him. There was not a spot on that truck. He said they wash it daily.

When they were done I told him I found this spot way over here... :D:D:D And that they had better get that spot when they washed the truck that night. :laughing:

The truck had an extended cab on it. Boxes to hold shovels, picks and other tools. Plus racks for his pipes. He also had fresh water tank and a PRESSURE washer. :thumbsup:

I don't know how he can pay for that truck, himself, his helper, expenses and the dump fee for $175. But I ain't complaining.

After they "swirled" around the top layer which was mainly TP. They just pumped it out. Then they used the pressure washer to breakdown stuff in the tank as well as cleaning off their hoses. He also guessed what TP we were using and said we should get something more septic tank friendly. :) To which I replied *** HE *** needed to tell SWMBO to change TP.

I dare ya. :D

The tank did not smell bad at all. I have been in worse porta potties. :confused2::ashamed:

He had a sign on the top back of the tank which said in effect, "Contents of this tank smell like a politicians promise."

One of the interesting tidibts I heard on TBN was to get your tank pumped every four years....

At election time. Easy to remember. Pump out your poo tank and vote the other poo(Insert Adult Word) out of office. :thumbsup:

Told that to the pumper. He liked it. :laughing:

We don't have a conventional gravel/pipe drain field. Our field would be very hard to clog but I am not taking chances. $175 every four years is $44. I paid that EVERY MONTH for septic in the city. To pay it every year to protect that septic system is cheap insurance.

Later,
Dan

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #26  
Oh man, I had the worst (well, except for when I fell through the lid of my parent's tank back in college) time with an old house I bought last year. A widowed lady had lived there alone for the last 29 years and we could find no company or records where she had ever had it pumped. I wore my butt out for a full day poking around trying to just find the tank. Then came the digging.

There were 4 lids that were about 2'X4'X4" thick covering the tank. The tank itself was brick with a mastic coating and brick baffles built in. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Lemme tell you about what I found. Once I had one lid completely dug out all the way around I told my wife to go ahead and tell the company to send a truck out. I bent my lovely 6' Horrible Freight pry bar trying to pry that lid off. I ended up getting about 4 other people to help me and prying with 2 shovels and 2 4' pry bars we finally got the lid to move. That's when I saw it was 4" thick rather than the 2" lids I've seen before. With no real ability to just pick that lid up, quick, we started digging out the next lid so we could slide that lid over on top of the next lid.

That wasn't so bad, just regular ole hard work digging in heavy clay soil. It's once we slid the lid over that I got the surprise. There was nothing there! Or, so I thought. After closer inspection the "dirt" under the lid turned out to be literally a solid mat made from tens of thousands of small roots holding the dirt (not really dirt) solid. By then, the pump truck shows up. The guy running it literally was 72 years old. He took one look at it and said "I'll come back tomorrow afternoon if you can be ready by then". :eek: What?! He took his probing rod and after a while showed me that there was 'liquid' about 18" down from the top of the mat. To demonstrate how sure he knew what he was talking about, he walked right out on the top of that mat and hopped up and down. :(

It wasn't until after another 3 or 4 hours of literally sawing with a hand saw that we discovered that it was a brick tank. The mass of roots had literally raised all the lids about 6" above the brick tank. Not good! I had to either give it up right then and spend the money to have a brand new system put in or start sawing. Needless to say, the smell wasn't pleasant. It actually was really bad. Later, the 72 year old guy who'd been doing this all his life said the only thing he'd ever smelled that was as bad was a really old grease pit under an old school that he'd cleaned out 30 years earlier. Anyway, I bought 2 gaff hooks and another couple of hand saws and started sawing just on the outside of the tank. That's when I discovered it was brick.

The trouble was that even with 2 guys on the gaff hook, about all they could lift out was about a 12"X12" square cut out of the inside of the tank. The 12X12 squares were literally deeper than they were wide with greenish looking stuff with the consistency of pudding on the bottom of the squares. It took more than 2 days to cut and dig all that root mat out! :( Man, talk about nasty work!! Still, I was happy to finally call the pump truck back out.

He pumped the tank out and stayed a while to not only help (pretty tough fella for his age!) but to give advice. First off, the bricks looked remarkably good for their age and the pumper fella said that the baffles were in perfect condition and that he hadn't seen one like that in at least 20 years. The trouble was I couldn't find any input or output. He literally climbed in and called me in after him with an 18" pry bar. I mean, what could I say? This 72 year old man was already in this brick pit that smelled worse than anything I could imagine. I had to go in with him. On each end he poked rather gently until he found a 4" clay tile entering the tank and a 4" clay tile going out the other end. He poked the pry bar into the field bed side and pulled out a perfectly round 4" plug about 6" long. With a flash light, it looked dry and clear past that plug. The plug on the input side was a different story. He poked and pulled for quite a while and suddenly yelled "Get out!!".

As we were getting out what looked like a perfectly round 4" turd slowly started entering the tank, breaking off and dropping to the bottom about every 18" or so. After that about 50 gallons of liquid (won't exactly call it water) quickly flowed into the tank. He sucked out all the liquid, but the round turds just wouldn't be sucked out. I had to go in with a flat scoop shovel and a 5 gallon bucket. I filled about a dozen buckets full of that rank stuff before the tank was clean. I finished shoveling about the same time lunch was wanting to come back out. Fortunately, I got out first.

Anyway, the old pumper showed me how to use old roofing shingles around the lid to keep roots from working their way into the tank again. I'd never heard of doing so, but he said 40 or 50 years ago that's the way they always did it and said if my tank was done that way to start I wouldn't have had that problem. Once the lids were back on, he had me double line the outside of the lids with old shingles and then put one one row of shingles across each lid seam. He then had me spread dry concrete mix on the outside of the shingles up to about the level of the lids and only then start re-covering the tank with dirt. I then flushed 2 boxes of Rid-X down a toilet to get bacteria introduced into the tank.

The pumper said that the system was in great shape now and would be good for another 50 years if I kept it pumped every 5 or 6 years. I've had a family of 5 living there for about 3 months now and all is well. No slow drains and no bad smell (I used my excavator and buried that nasty mat about 6' deep!). The new grass seems to be doing well and is growing evenly all over the entire back yard with no area greener than any other. The pump company only billed me $140 for their work. I'm very pleased with that and have recommended them to several others in my area. Hopefully nobody else has to go through that but, in retrospect, it sure beat spending $6000 or so to have a completely new system installed.

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #28  
OH

MY!

:laughing:

Glad I did not read this in the morning. I would have spewed coffee.

The image of a 4"x18" tube turd is hard to get out of my head.....

Course that is better than getting it off my head. :laughing:

When he said get out I knew what was gonna happen. Or so I thought. But never did I think of a tube turd....

And root mats. NEVER would have guess that.

I think I will pump the poo every four years. :D

CHEAP!

Later,
Dan

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #29  
Great story Dargo.

Thanks. I only wish it wasn't true. :( If the economy was better, I'd have hired out the work. Heck, if I ever run across the same thing again, I may hire it out no matter the economy! :) I'm still impressed how wiry that old pumper fella was. That work must keep a guy in shape. I asked him if he ever got sick from his job and he laughed and told me that he did for the first couple of years. He said he could probably dine on the stuff now and not get sick and likely had built up an immunity to most nasty things. You know, I think I believe him on that matter as well.

/ Question and advise about septic tank cleaning... #30  
And root mats. NEVER would have guess that.

Me neither!! I thought I'd found a lid to nothing. If it wasn't for that old 'honey dipper' fella, I may have written it off as just a buried lid with no tank under it. Gawd was that nasty!! I forgot, when the pumper guy left he laughed and said "Now watch every bush and tree within 100 yards die now that they lost their limitless food supply". :D