Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #1  

Specop_007

Silver Member
Skunks, coyotes, rabbits and deer in the garden....Fear me, for I hunt the night. :cool::laughing:

P1010453.jpg

P1010445.jpg

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #2  
How much does it suppress the sound. . . can you shot it with out earplugs, will your neighbors hear it if they were in their house? We have a place where we shoot but i hate shooting the ar out there as i know it bothers the neighbors. i've been thinking about going suppressed but haven't "pulled the trigger" last i checked it was $200 for the stamp and that is per gun if i remember right, plus the suppressor which i assume prob. set you back another 400.

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #3  
You have much the same method of pest control as I.:thumbsup:

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #4  
Really nice set up. I use a Armalite A4 in .223 as my main Coyote rifle and a .243 Savage as my secondary. Tell more details about your suppressor I thought them were illegal. It would be nice to cut the noise down when hunting Coyotes.

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday
Suppressor ownership is dependent upon state laws. Some states allow it and some do not.

The noise reduction isnt "Hollywood quiet". It brings the centerfire rifle rounds (223/556) down to roughly what a .22LR would sound like. Meter wise its not safe levels of suppression in terms of not wearing ear protection but its light years ahead of not using the suppressor at all and you can shoot without hearing protection and not have the ringing and such you normally would.

The cost is $200 for the tax stamp from the ATF. That is for the suppressor and not the firearm so once you pay for it you can use the suppressor on any firearm. In fact one things guys will do is buy a .30 cal suppressor thats used on 30-06 or 308 rifles and use it on the .223. It doesnt work *quite* as well as a dedicated 223 suppressor but you wont hear the difference for the most part. That allows you to forego buying 2 suppressors and just buy one as a "do all" type suppressor.

I almost went that route of getting a "one size fits all" but the 30 cal cans are quite a bit heavier than the 22 cal cans. It adds a noticeable amount of weight to the end of the gun so in the event I end up walking around much..... I went with the lighter 22 caliber can.

They make cans that are 22 cal rimfire and 22 cal centerfire rated. If you use a rimfire can on a centerfire rifle you'll destroy the can. You can go the other way (centerfire can shooting rimfire ammunition) but it does dirty the can up pretty good.

Suppressor costs are anywhere from $250 - $2000+ depending what you get. Most centerfire cans start around the 5-600 mark and go up with a quickness from there. The rimfire cans are 250-600 or so. Throw in a $200 tax stamp on top.

My can was $550 or so plus $200 on the stamp for around $800 all told with transfer fees and such. Worth it? I think so. I can now shoot while the kids are out playing in the yard whereas before it was so loud they would go inside. I can teach the kids to shoot without requiring hearing protection although if we shoot very much at all I will have them wear it. My hearing isnt so good these days so.....

Lastly its the type of thing that lasts a lifetime. Yes it is a lot of money, but in my opinion money well spent. Its great not needing hearing protection, great not annoying the neighbors and such....Very happy with it. :cool:

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #6  
Thanks fort the info on the repost, that was a lot of good info

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #7  
How much does it suppress the sound. . . can you shot it with out earplugs, will your neighbors hear it if they were in their house?

I think "noise" is going to depend on the suppressor and the round.

I once shot a 223 suppressed bolt gun and AR15/M16. Can't remember if it was full auto or not since we were shooting single rounds. A "normal" 223 did not require hearing protection at all. I suppose if you were shooting quite a bit it would be better to wear hearing protection but we were not bothered in the least. It was very quiet. I think this will depend on the equipment though.

The bolt gun could shoot a subsonic 223. That was amazing. We were maybe 75 yards from the target not a great distance but we could easily get 9/10 ring hits. Noise? What noise? You heard three sounds. The firing pin hitting the primer, the bullet hitting the paper and then the ground. Pretty nifty. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #8  
this is a good vid for side by side comparison of what a suppressor sounds like on a .223

tall dude (buggetnuster) is running one while the other guy isnt

YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel

hears a good vid talking with the guys that make the cans.

YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel

starting at about 6:45 (unless your interested in other fun toys for your carbine)

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday
Thanks fort the info on the repost, that was a lot of good info

NFA laws by state...

State by State Chart of NFA Restrictions

Now in my case I had an additional $600 or so in fees because my local sheriff decided to be an .....well.....Yeah. He denied my forms to purchase an NFA item. So I had to make a trust and get the suppressor transferred into the trust rather than into my name.

Theres 2 ways to make the trust. One is with Quicken Willmaker or some such and another is to use an attorney. I used an attorney that specializes in NFA trusts, although I know people who have went with Quicken Willmaker.

My personal opinion is this is a big boy game with big boy penalties. NFA Trusts are a slightly bit different than the generic Willmaker trust. I want to know for sure mine is properly set up so I paid the money to get it done "right". Its all about peace of mind.

So even if your local sheriff isnt willing to sign the forms so you can get NFA toys you can still do an end around and cut him out of the process.

*EDIT*
I just checked, I KNOW that chart is out of date. Kansas should be all Y across the board and is not. I believe it was 2 years ago they went all Yes so take that chart with a small grain of salt.

Also, I ordered my suppressor through Major Malfunction

/ Finally got my suppressor, picked it up yesterday #10  
Suppressors are cool!

p22outbackII.jpg

hunt.jpg

100_0087.jpg

I went with a trust because the Sheriff were I used to live would not sign. However I moved to a different county now where the one here will sign (I work for him anyway).