Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible?

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #1  

Trigger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Some questions about storage sheds. I am looking at a 14x24 shed that I can get for a good price. It has 2x6 floor joists 5/8 plywood flooring, 8' tall side walls, and a 8x8 overhead door on the end. Do you guys think the floor will handle the weight?

Items to be inside:

Kubota B21 - ~4500lbs
Farmall A - ~2000lbs+ (not too sure of the weight, it does have wheel weights though)
4wheeler, troybilt.....

Would I be asking too much of the floor or anything else? If I lay some more plywood will that help disperse the weight or is it just too much?

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #2  
I don't think you will be able to fit all of your gear in there. You could pour a slab and anchor building to it and cut out floor after. It would give you more head room too...

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #3  
I have 10 *15 ' shed, with 8' garage door and 2*6 inch joice I built mine and have ramp with 2 *8" pressure wood. I can put only BX1860 tractor with front loader and mmm attached. I have one Generator, 2 tool boxes and a tool car in it. Thatz it no more space and don't think there is chance for 2 tractors

My experience.

Ganesh

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible?
Thanks for the replies. Checked it out today the floor joists are 12" on center 2x6, with 3/4" plywood. My problem is I plan to park both tractors side by side, thats alot of weight on one end. They may fit end to end if I swing the backhoe. I hope it will be ok. I know I have the stuff to fill it, but such is the case with any storage shed.

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #5  
Like the other fellow said " You could pour a slab" then you'ed be in like Flinn.

Or you could have a earth floor, that would hold the machines.

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #6  
I store and transport my tractor in a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer. A few times I've driven my b2630 in and out with the loader forks and 3pt carrier both nearly maxed out with slabs of concrete. (estimate 5000+lbs.) 3/4' ply with support 16" oc. floor. No problem, but the plywood did creek some. I've since added a super deck of quality 1/2" ply just to be safe and prevent long term damage, shored the tail at the top the ramps, and loading/leveling jacks. Oh, and I have hauled the tractor, implements and supplies more than few thousand miles with this trailer.

Moral of the story;I think you will be fine.

My humble suggestions would be to add another layer 3/4" ply crossing the grains. Install piers every 4' to 6' on the long side. Maybe a few more on the door end where traffic will be higher. I would add a few center of the joist piers, but I would set them a 1/2"-1" lower than the joist and let the float. Reason being is that if settling occurs unevenly there isn't the risk of a single joist trying support the rest of the shed. But the pier is there to pick the deflection load. Shore up the structure near the door. The high traffic and exposure to the elements will likely weaken the wood.

...or just pure concrete.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Brian

/ Storage Shed + Tractor, Possible? #7  
Would I be asking too much of the floor or anything else? If I lay some more plywood will that help disperse the weight or is it just too much?

I had a similar set-up and I needed to add another layer of plywood. If a remember right my TLB was right around 4K pounds.