What does a bale of straw go for in your area?

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I used to drop by a local Rural King, about a mile away, and pay between $3 to $4 a bale. Today they were charging $6.25 a bale. They can keep them for mice nests at that price! Fortunately, I found a place a few farms down the way who said I could have up to 50 bales at $3 a bale. I'm headed that way now. Oh, BTW, our Pet Food Center (typical pet place) was also charging over $6 a bale. Anyone else seeing this?

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #2  
I used to drop by a local Rural King, about a mile away, and pay between $3 to $4 a bale. Today they were charging $6.25 a bale. They can keep them for mice nests at that price! Fortunately, I found a place a few farms down the way who said I could have up to 50 bales at $3 a bale. I'm headed that way now. Oh, BTW, our Pet Food Center (typical pet place) was also charging over $6 a bale. Anyone else seeing this?

I've seen similar situations here as well. I don't usually buy straw but have seen it with grass and other hay as well. Buying from the producer is always cheaper if they'll sell to you. Usually they will but sometimes at the time of baling they've already sold the entire field if they have the buyers. I've seen similar mark up as well. Feed stores and retailers have to factor their overhead and handling in and I only buy from them if I'm out of town and need a few bales. I'd get in good with the neighbor down the road and stay in touch with him or her. I'm just about due to call my supplier and make sure he's got me on his "list" as I do every year.
BTW, I've been meaning to comment on your 1978 Ford. Though funny how you list it, they are good trucks with the 300cu and standard transmissions. Good work trucks!:thumbsup:

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #3  
Today they were charging $6.25 a bale. They can keep them for mice nests at that price!

I have no idea what a bale of straw would cost around here because I've never seen any for sale. I have 80 acres of planted pine trees and only one person has ever asked me if they could have straw. I told them they could have as much as they could rake, for free! I understand that pine trees are not as plentiful in all areas of our country.

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #4  
Wheat straw is $2 a bale around here, from most farmers who sell it by the bale. Several have signs posted at the road. I did buy several bales at a Walmart last year after halloween as they were on clearance for $1. :)

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #5  
I think I need to buy some next time I go up north. I paid $7 for a bale for the chicken house. Went to another feedstore and she said straw is so expensive they don't even keep it anymore, just hay. I beleive it was $11 for a square bale. Just ridiculous

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #6  
Wow, then it would make you sick to see the thousands of acres of wheat that are never baled after harvest.

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #7  
In Vermont average is 4 - 6 dollars a Bale, prices vary seasonally, as well as fluctuate depending on quantity of purchase.

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #8  
Wheat straw is $2 a bale around here, from most farmers who sell it by the bale. Several have signs posted at the road. I did buy several bales at a Walmart last year after halloween as they were on clearance for $1. :)
For $2 a bale, Dargo is going to make a road trip to Ohio :laughing:

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #9  
In my neck of the woods a bale of hay costs about 2 hours mowing, an hour or so of raking and a couple hours of baling/stacking. :D

Aaron Z

/ What does a bale of straw go for in your area? #10  
We had a lot of dry weather here and people lost their pastures. The big round bales last summer were going for about $65 each. If someone had trucked and bunch in and I'm sure people did, they could have made a killing down here.